Cranking to long before startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 98 ram 1500 sport with a 5.2. I bought this truck after it had sat 8 years. The previous owner said it started stalling and he took it to a few garages and a dealer and no one could find the issue. I've done the plentum upgrades, replaced a bad injector, replace chain and gears and it runs pretty good for a 5.2. However i notice when i go to start it after it sits over night it cranks extremely long before starting. If i stop cranking then turn switch again it seems to fire right up. Last night after it sat all day i cranked it almost 8 seconds before it started. Ive got 130 miles on it since work was done.
So i was wondering what should fuel pressure be when just turning switch on before cranking?
Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Rod

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am not much help as I am not a gear head but have you checked your plugs ?
I do know that fouled plugs can cause a bit of a starting issue, But that is just a wild guess from a old fart :O , Please post what you do find!

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My truck had the same symptoms for several years. It got worse as the years went by. I could crank it over for 4 or 5 seconds without it starting. It would always fire right up on the second try.
It ended up being my fuel pump which went out during a deer hunt in the middle of nowhere. It now starts up in about half a crank of the starter.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Fuel pressure should be somewhere between 45 and 50 psi both running and key on, engine off. There are a few here who can give you a more exact number.

You say you replaced one injector. Considering that there's eight of them, if one went bad, there's probably another not too far off. If even just one injector is leaking, it will cause a noticeable drop in fuel pressure not to mention possibly flood the cylinder. And of course, if they're sticking, well they won't shoot any gas into the cylinder, LOL.

Also, when you test key on, engine off, notice how quickly the fuel pressure drops. It should drop very slowly, something like x pounds per minutes. I'm not sure the exact number. If it drops faster than that, you've likely got a leak somewhere (including a stuck-open injector).

I drove an 80's Ford Ranger for a while while the Ram was under the wrench and it would NEVER start the first pull. It would always start on the second. Dude says that he changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor prior to me driving it. Dunno, all I know is that after driving that pooch bucket, I was sooo glad to have my V8 back, LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rado, The plugs were replaced 130 miles ago when I did all other work , Gr8bawana, Ive kinda got that feeling of a fuel pump thats why I was hoping to get some exact pressures so I can check and monitor a few times.
Yeret, I understand the concern of a leaking fuel injector but I think I have eliminated that by turning the key to the on position and wait for fuel pump to stop running before cranking. It still had to crank long when done that way. The one I replaced was clogged, but maybe I should pull them all and clean them. Hoping to get exact numbers so I can check how high pressure goes.
The previous owner said the truck would stall and the one time the dealer claimed it needed a pump but he had just put in a new one about 2000 miles earlier so he didnt have it done. Im leaning toward that but I was always taught to "test don't guess' so thats the reason I would like to find out pressures. I know a GM needs all but 60psi!
Thanks Rod

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your fuel gauge still work? my fuel gauge is all wonky, and my truck is hard starting aswell, I've read that those can all be signs of the fuel sender in the tank failing.

OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes fuel gauge works but the sending unit will have no effect on the pump and pressure.
Rod

Waage2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24v Cummins
The pressure valve in your fuel pump has stuck open. Mine has done the same thing, turn your key on for 5 seconds or so, turn back off,then turn on for a few more seconds and it should fire right up.

jamesfarris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how many miles are on it? sounds like it could be a compression issue.

OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, after putting about 400 miles in the last 3 months and doing some test starting each time I decided it was a fuel pressure issue and this week I tackled the fuel pump. Very easy job to drop the tank. Once the new pump was on it fires within the first second. Its been 3 days now and each start is immediate once key is turned. Now I can trust going further away from home so tonight I drove 175 miles to the beach. Ran great and will be a good test in morning after sitting all night. Also cant wait to see what fuel mileage I got driving down here.
Thanks Rod

OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Filled up this morning to see what fuel mileage was on way own here to beach. 17.5 mpg!!! I'm really happy with that.
Rod

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
OK, after putting about 400 miles in the last 3 months and doing some test starting each time I decided it was a fuel pressure issue and this week I tackled the fuel pump. Very easy job to drop the tank. Once the new pump was on it fires within the first second. Its been 3 days now and each start is immediate once key is turned. Now I can trust going further away from home so tonight I drove 175 miles to the beach. Ran great and will be a good test in morning after sitting all night. Also cant wait to see what fuel mileage I got driving down here.
Thanks Rod

Thanks for the Update! Glad the issue seems solved :) I am sure that will be a great help to others !

OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been all but a month since I installed the fuel pump. Truck has started immediately on each start and it runs great. I have left it sit for over a week and it fires right up. I need to put a fuel gauge on the port to see what fuel pressure it has now. Next issue will be to try tightening up the steering box a little to remove some of the wonder it has while driving.
Rod