Cruise Control Ain't Cruisin' !?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teligence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing happens when I press the "ON" button - no additional lights at all - the cruise control is completely dead.
The only thing I've done so far is check all fuses - all good.

Any thoughts on what to check next?

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed. Mine is dead also. Went from randomly shutting off, to completely dead. No dash lights either now.

OP
OP
T

Teligence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cruisin the 'net

Saw a few posts that point to:
- leaking/damaged vacuum hose that goes to the control unit(?)
- bad connection or wiring in the steering wheel harness
- incorrect tire size programmed in the PCM

The first 2 were reports of actual problems that were repaired, but I'm wondering if the 3rd one is just speculation?

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I figured something electronic either in the module or steering wheel. Both seemed invasive to investigate. A new module is $60. But being my dash light doesnt even flicker, I assumed more was at play.

Last edited:

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did same thing. Replaced brake switch and it worked for a while, then stopped again. When I installed my tuner and adjusted tire size, my CC has worked perfect ever since.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine did same thing. Replaced brake switch and it worked for a while, then stopped again. When I installed my tuner and adjusted tire size, my CC has worked perfect ever since.

OE tire size here.

no dash light. no activation. this died long before my engine tune.
went from "kicking off" and sometimes working as normal (with dash light), to no dash light, and not working at all.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would first replace brake switch. $20 at dealer.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes that switch. It is a common failure point in the CC circuit.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ordered the mopar brake light switch...skeptical but for $12 i'll try it. needed plugs and wipers from rock auto anyways.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes that switch. It is a common failure point in the CC circuit.

you owe me $12

and FYI anyone else replacing the switch, read the instructions first. There is procedure about how to flip a one-time reset switch on the new switch itself. AFTER installing it. IF you hit the toggle before its installed, the switch is RUINED. And if you miss the part about flipping it after installed, your truck will be locked in park.

I almost ended up needing another new switch, and having a truck that was locked in PARK with no way to drive it.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well of course read the instructions first. Plenty of threads on here that tell you how to replace it.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well of course read the instructions first. Plenty of threads on here that tell you how to replace it.

Main point being: Cruise control still inop after brake switch, since this thread is about corrective action to failed cruise control.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well that is one of the common things that go wrong with it. Since it is very hard to test it, it is simpler to replace it and see if that was your issue. There are multiple switches and sensors that operate CC. It is hard to track down.
What is it doing now. Will it light at all when stopped? When moving? Will it light up, but not set? Not hold speed once set?

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that is one of the common things that go wrong with it. Since it is very hard to test it, it is simpler to replace it and see if that was your issue. There are multiple switches and sensors that operate CC. It is hard to track down.
What is it doing now. Will it light at all when stopped? When moving? Will it light up, but not set? Not hold speed once set?

Same as previously stated. No dash light and does not function at all.

OP
OP
T

Teligence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still have a problem?
I've recently ordered the service manuals so I'll have an electrical schematic to troubleshoot with. I'll try and remember to post my results...

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still have a problem?
I've recently ordered the service manuals so I'll have an electrical schematic to troubleshoot with. I'll try and remember to post my results...

So mine has been working for a week now...and ya know what fixed it? the takata airbag recall being repaired.....? It was dead for 3 years...airbag recall, and boom....works great. I can only assume when they had the steering wheel apart they re-hooked up the buttons/switches and one must have been loose.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine does not work either, what recall???

If you haven't had any recalls done recently,.call your local dealer because you have one on the airbag. Idk if this is actually what "fixed" mine. BUT I bet my switch was loose, and when they put the steering wheel back together it got re connected

snrance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Mine stop working after the ABS wheel speed sensor went bad. The cruise light would come on intermittently and the ABS light never came on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye