Cummins AC compressor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Looking for some AC help
My girlfriend started her truck and it's started making terrible racket/grinding noise
I've had this weird feeling that the ac compressor is on its last leg for some time now
I climbed underneath and sure enough there are metal shavings on the compressor pulley and it looks as if the pulley might be stripping out

I don't know much about how the clutch on the compressor works but what might be the chances that this is just a bearing/clutch problem and the compressor is still ok (not sure if it even makes a diffrence since i dont think you can get just an ac clutch for these)

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Is it continuous or only for a sec when you turn it on or change temperature?

I know when I set it a little warmer it'll make this pop/crackle sound the second I set it, but stops and works great

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
AC clutches are readilly available at your local wrecker...

My clutch died this summer.. AC shop pressed a new one into the old compressor and it works great..

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
sounds like the ac clutch is shot but i dont think you can get new cluchts for it. i think the only way is like cthulhu said via junk yard. might want to check rockauto or factory mopar just to be sure.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Out of morbid curiousity, I checked rock auto.. full compressor is $250ish... F.n.H.l.l.. I paid $400 in Kelowna for the damned clutch..

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'll have to look into that
I ordered a non AC serpentine belt to by pass the compressor till I can figure something out