Cummins Concern...Should I Go Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TiBoneFramer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey Gents,

Looking at a 2500 Night Edition with the 6.7 CTD. I have a couple concerns I was hoping you all could help me resolve.

First off is MPG. I've heard of guys getting 21-23 mpg without deletes where as the Hemi (Power Wagon) is in the 13-17 range. Is this true?

What may change that is I do a lot of city and country roads but not a lot of highway driving. What MPG can I expect for that?

Add to that I probably only drive 12000 miles a year....is that enough to work the CTD or am I going to have major problems down the road?

Also, just how much more does it cost to maintain/own (gas excluded) a diesel over gas?

All answers appreciated!

Ram-engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Hey Gents,

Looking at a 2500 Night Edition with the 6.7 CTD. I have a couple concerns I was hoping you all could help me resolve.

First off is MPG. I've heard of guys getting 21-23 mpg without deletes where as the Hemi (Power Wagon) is in the 13-17 range. Is this true?

What may change that is I do a lot of city and country roads but not a lot of highway driving. What MPG can I expect for that?

Add to that I probably only drive 12000 miles a year....is that enough to work the CTD or am I going to have major problems down the road?

Also, just how much more does it cost to maintain/own (gas excluded) a diesel over gas?

All answers appreciated!
I live 5 miles from my work and I'm like you it's mostly country roads. I'm getting much harder better fuel mileage with my Ctd than what I did with the 6.4 hemi. I go a month on a tank now instead of 2 weeks. As for the maintenance, the 6.4 takes unicorn blood "what I named the oil as it was only sold in one store in my state" it cost about 2.5 times more than a CTD oil change. That maybe different in your state but not here in WV.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Your getting 13-17mpg out of a power wagon. I'm happy to see 11-12mpg with a 6.4 PW. Personally I wouldnt by a diesel, if you have never had one try to lay down on you its quite an experience. Never had a truck give me 200 miles before it would only do 5mph, and start a count down due to DPF. DPF systems are so bad the epa issued different rules for emergency vehicles because the original system, the one the public runs, was risking the life saving abilities of the EMS. Its a fact, research it.

I don't know what ram-engineer is talking about not being able to find "unicorn blood" for the 6.4. I also live in WV, BFE WV and can get it today at 3 different stores. Besides the oil is cheaper if you order it from Amazon.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hey Gents,

Yup. My 6.4L 2500 got around 14 - 15 combined, almost 17 HWY

If you are referring to the Cummins, 21 - 23. If you are referring to the 6.4L, 13 - 15

The Cummins will do fine. It doesn't need a minimum number of miles per year to do what it was designed to do.

More oil per change but with synthetics you are good to go for 8 - 10K miles between changes. Fuel filters about every 10 - 12K miles.
The filters are expensive from the dealer but you can change your own and buy them online a lot cheaper.

All answers appreciated!

If you need a diesel powered truck - lots of threads here discussing gas vs. diesel - don't pass it up. New and used prices for a diesel truck will be more expensive compared to a gas powered truck but a well maintained diesel engine will last a lot longer. Coupled with better fuel mileage and routine maintenance costs, over the long run the diesel will actually be cheaper to own.

Reactions: SyN

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
well a diesel is more to fix if it breaks but damn mine gets way better mpg than my 3500 chevy did. but it comes down to needs.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You'll get better mileage with a CTD, but you'll only see the 22-23 without deletes on the highway. I drive 5-6 miles each way to work as well and with summer blend I average what my sig says, but now that we're in winter fuel it's lower to about 15.5 city. I have been making a lot of short trips throughout the week too so that doesn't help.

As far as the poster above said about DPF, I'll throw the flag up, unless you're doing apples to apples and are using it for EMS and not a daily diesel driver who doesn't know a DPF from a torque converter. The offroad and EMS users aren't asking for non-DEF equipment, just a buzzer or light letting them know to fill it when they can and not having the engine go into limp mode in case a life is on the line. Fill it when with FRESH DEF when it gets below half and it'll never give the countdown. I don't tow and have used about 5 gallons per year of the stuff. No issues. The EMS call for flexibility also included DPF back pressure relief so power wasn't limited but this was due to extreme idling. Don't do that with any kind of engine, ever.

Maint costs have been $65 oil changes twice a year and $77 for fuel filters once a year doing them all myself.

As far as working a diesel, I've owned several over almost two decades. Have driven them all the same. Some were chipped, one deleted, this one stock, and have never had a single problem with any of them. Everyone I know at home has a diesel from from teenage nephews in 24 valves to old farts with garage queens. Point is, drive it how you want and enjoy it.

Gas engines are reliable as well and will take on a lot of miles, but which power plant comes to mind when the word reliability is thrown around a room? Get either you like. Try not to take forum threads across the internets as evidence issues are plaguing either and you're mind will keep at ease. My $0.02.

Last edited:

Dan'l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I currently drive a 2015 1500 5.7 h
emi. I’m towing with it exclusively...7200 dry weight but load it up while traveling. All has been fine, but thinking of upgrading to 2500. Having never had diesel, uncertain which way to go in the 2500...diesel or gas. And if I do go diesel! Which one? Thanks