Custom/Modernizing Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey everyone
Lately I have been trying to personalize my D150. I've previously said I'm trying to achieve the 4wd look by using a leveling kit and some other subtle things that 4x4's have. I'm fairly happy with that part of it but now I want to move to the front of the truck. The classic truck look is nice but I would really like to have a different type of head light than the ones that every 80s vehicle seemed to have... I believe they were called sealed beam headlamps. Anyway, does anyone know of a different head light, maybe with a less frosted/pixilated glass covering the bulb? I like new head lights on trucks, where the light given off is more "sharp". Anyone have any suggestions on how to modernize the head lights on a first gen? Don't matter how complicated your idea is.... just say it!

Thank you community

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't think they make street legal less frosted/pixilated headlights. the only clear ones i know of are for off road use only. the frosted/pixilated stuff is there to direct the light. now if you are looking to get more light out of the stock lights you should put them on relays. should make them noticeably brighter.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Silvania and others make a "Bright Light" product which has a different diffusion pattern to put far more of the light directly infront of you as opposed to finding squirrels. They work well.

You really want good light, get some of the "euro clear' housings and retrofit in an HID projector. Then you'll have modern light output in no time! HID planet has a great forum related to all things retrofitted.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sweet, thanks guys. I've been looking at Sylvania and their products, it would be cool to install them. I saw an old Chevy square body, probably mid 80s, and the head lights were outlined in white dotted, very bright lights... looked like the same thing that Audi's have. that's sort of what I want, is that what a Sylvania product would give me?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is also a very good point. The headlight wiring on old trucks is sub par at best.
A nice relay setup (one for lows, one for highs) will likely help you a considerable amount.

Great point!

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Okay a harness would definitely be a good idea to look at first. But I would like to clarify what I'm trying to do. I don't particularly like the look of the stock head lights on 80s trucks (the glass part, by the way). The shape is fine, it's just the look of the glass part and the light it gives off. So I am looking for a different "arrangement" of bulb(s). And also maybe a different glass cover in front of the bulbs. So that's what an HID set up would do... I am wondering an approximate cost of doing this. has anyone here tried to modernize their head lights like I am trying to do?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
to buy headlights that are different than the ones you have you would most likely be looking at about $100+

the headlight wiring on certain year truck is certainly sub par but what is on his 84 should not be. should have 16 gauge headlight wire where something like my 93 came from the factory 20 gauge ground wire. it is just one of those things where the shorter the distance the power has to travel the more power gets to where it is meant to go. i think i might have seen less than 0.25 volt increase when i put my 81's headlights on relays but it was a noticeable. it also seemed to make my headlights not dim as much when idling.