Cut hole under bench seat??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramincali

Reaction score
I have a 2013 crew cab express. Maybe a stupid question but can I cut under the bottom of the bench seat to make room for my sub? I have a Fox box with a 10” sub. I’ve added spacers to raise the seat but would prefer not to add more than 2 pieces. It works fine with what I currently have with a grill but want to replace with a sundown sa10 which looks like it needs more space and doesn’t have a grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You would be cutting right through the cab bottom if you did that. I would suggest making a console enclosure in this case.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
look into building a custom fiberglass box. you can gain at least 1" or more of depth.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I managed to stuff a 13" Fokal subwoofer in the 40 side of my 06 3500 under the seat with a custom fibreglass box. Grill didn't fit though. I also rhino lined under the truck around the seat well to add more sound deadening underneath. There are options without cutting the floor. Also cut out the carpet in the well to gain everything I could and poly fill in the box.

Last edited:

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would be cutting right through the cab bottom if you did that. I would suggest making a console enclosure in this case.

And this is what I’m figuring out for my 05. I figured up enough air space for a 12 sealed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Just my opinion here, but if you need to start cutting away parts of your truck structure to add stereo equipment, you're adding the wrong stereo equipment

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are we sure that the OP was not saying to cut a hole in the seat itself? I took the question as cutting hole in the bottom part of the seat, not body.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
OK, let me rephrase then. If you have to cut part of your seat out to add stereo equipment, you're adding the wrong stereo equipment

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear what everyone is saying. Thanks for the responses. What im asking is whether the carpet under the seat is just carpet and hollow. I know it sounds horrible to cut out something out that could stay with the proper installation but im trying to avoid raising the seat another 3/4 to 1 " with another spacer, the box came with 3 but im only using 2. My thoughts are that nobody will ever see it and will give the woofer more room to extend. Cutting a little carpet and carboard doesnt seem to bad but maybe a bad idea so I hear you guys and its why I asked. Input definitely appreciated.

The situation is that my wife may be buying me a sundown sa10 to replace my alpine type r which has been okay but im wanting something with a littlemore booom. I believe that the sundown can work with my current box so that excites me. I could build a custom box but wont be able to until the weather warms. I was good and originally tried to do a budget build, but now im wanting more! Give a guy some encouragment and hope :-/ :)

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I want to cut the underside of the seat not the bottom or any metal :). Currently when I sit on the bench, with my fat ass I feel the grill indenting but that must be from the seat bottom hitting.
, not my fat ass.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I know what you're looking to do and why...my Arc Blacks extended a lot and the bottom of the rear seat eventually wore my sub surround out a bit. I'd add a THICK 1"-2" wood speaker ring to the top of the Fox box around your sub. The ring will essentially counter sink the sub even more, but the ring will push up into the seat bottom (hope your passengers do not feel it???) creating a clearance for the sub to load a bit more, and extend safely....hope you get the idea and I hope Iam understanding your needs as well. Good luck

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, thats exactly what im trying to avoid. The amount of extension that sub has seems more than double thatbof a type r. Your solution is thinking out of the box literally! I may try that if theres an issue. Thanks!