Daily Driver Cummins Guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stsgtcrb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 2500HD
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I drive mine 80 miles a day round trip for work. Have had no regen issues. My buddy uses his for short trips and has has had his DPF plug up a couple times and had to have it repaired. They recommend at least a 45 min highway drive to heat up everything enough to burn off the particulates, since I do that twice a day I have not had any issues.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How frequently is this highway drive recommended to burn off the particulates?

On a similar topic, what cool down time do you guys (and gals) allow after an unloaded drive? I know the recommendation is <1 minute... honestly how long is that???

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Are you considering a 5.9 or a 6.7? With the 5.9, there is nothing to worry about. Drive it however you want, and dont even worry about it. With a 6.7, I highly recommend deleting the dpf and egr and adding a programmer. This will allow you to drive it however you want as well. Having owned both, My daily drives with each consist of about 40 miles round trip Monday-Friday for work. Weekends are either short trips (less than 5 miles) or 200 mile round trips to the beach. I have driven both trucks to Colorado a few times, and both have been to Florida a few times. Those were some long hauls from south Texas. I have never had a problem with either truck.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What do these deletions do to the warranty? Would I be wiser to wait until the warranty is out to delete these and add the programmer?

I'm new to the diesel world and enjoying learning about these engines... forgive my lack of knowledge.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Talk to your local dealership about it. Technically, they will void your warranty. However, many dealerships recognize the problems that are caused by the dpf and egr system, so they are ok with you deleting them (as long as you arent going crazy with your truck running the tuner on the hot setting while towing 20k pounds everyday...haha)

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks - that's helpful information.

Anything on the cool down time?

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Thanks - that's helpful information.

Anything on the cool down time?

Cool down time really isn't important as long as you weren't on a long heavy haul or just ragging the truck out. The reason for a warm down is primarily for the turbo, so if you aren't getting it super hot don't worry about it. The more important thing is warm up... On my H&S tuner I have cold coolant defuel set to 160* to protect the head gasket and the rest of the engine. So now it warms up on a safe amount of fuel :)

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Yep...I dont worry about cool down time on my trucks. You dont want to run the truck hard while the motor is cold though as that is the main reason for the blown head gaskets.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks - that's good information - I'm religious about cool down after a long or strenuous run, but less so after an average drive. I also keep from working her too hard before she's warmed up.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I drive my 6.7 about 100 mile round trip to work, 3 days a week. I have had ZERO problems with this truck and will be passing 90k miles this week the only mod is a CAI (soon to be full deleted), a 2" level and 35's . As the others have said I don't drive it hard before it's warm but I do let it idle for a min or so when I get home.

This truck is super awesome..

Ch

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use mine every day on trips anywhere from 5 miles to a couple hundred miles. Sometimes I pull the boat and sometimes farm stuff but most of the time I only haul the 200lbs in the bed to soften the ride.

It aint' cheap, but I personally do not care. I get almost exactly the same mileage as I did with my Durango with the Hemi, and better than I did with my '04 2500 Hemi.

Plus, the sound and power is unbeatable. I have had some issues but they were not DD related and have since been resolved to my satisfaction. Still have yet to have the regen run on my truck even after the issues were fixed.