Dash Cracked?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
Starting this to see who has a cracked dash and who doesn't and why it happens... I don't have a cracked dash, but my bezel is... can't figure out why though... it was that way when i bought it... so post pics of yours or reasons for cracking... heard that it is like a curse on 2nd gens...

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lack of UV protection in the materials...not only is it a problem in the gen2 trucks, but some early gen3's also suffer from them.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
That and door rust .. key is to protect it before it happens . Like rocker lining and dash covers.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ugh door rust really grinds my gears. I guess it's payoff for my pristine looking dash though lol

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Ahh bite me ^

Glad mine is sealed and rust free

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
ill take a pic later but my 2nd gen hass a crack on the passenger side, but new it would happen lol

OP
OP
99RamSport360

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
My dash still hasn't cracked, and I hope it won't happen anytime soon... hopefully I will be getting a new bezel... Planning on getting it dipped in Camo!

01dirtydzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v Turbo Diesel
If your dash isn't cracked on your 2nd Gen/early 3rd Gen, then there must be something wrong with your truck lol
Something wrong with mine then haha..

My trucks only got 100k on it though, been garage kept its whole life.

I recently put a colormatched dash cover thingy on it, just to help keep the sun off the actual dashpad!

Alot of people dont even realize there is a dash cover on the truck...

549440_2735017634861_431976411_n.jpg

Texas Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I recently put a colormatched dash cover thingy on it, just to help keep the sun off the actual dashpad!

Haha yeah there may have been a little exageration there. The cover actually looks better than I thought, that's the first picture that I have seen of one installed. When I go to start fixing up my '98 next year I'm going to be debating between the cover or actually replacing it with an OEM one.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
mine and my dads 2nd gen had cracked dashes. and my bezel cracked also.
do not ever even touch it, it is seriously that brittle.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your dash isn't cracked on your 2nd Gen/early 3rd Gen, then there must be something wrong with your truck lol

Don't you put that evil on me! Lol

The road salt is pretty bad here in good old Indiana so my baby never stood a chance lol it was rusted when I bought her and the first think I did was seal it but it will probably need done again after winter

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thats why...lol...

Lostnwalmart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine isn't cracked on my 94 at 275,000 miles lol. Seems like the color has a lot to do with it too.

epr 2x10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24 valve
I am in the same boat as a lot of yall... What options do I have besides the damn carpet? I got the carpet cover now and I hate it. I want to fix/ replace what I need to inorder to not have to run the carpet. Can some one please explain what exact a dash cap and a dash pad are? What do yall reccomend? What have yall tried? I just want it to look clean and have no carpet. Thanks
Chris

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in the same boat as a lot of yall... What options do I have besides the damn carpet? I got the carpet cover now and I hate it. I want to fix/ replace what I need to inorder to not have to run the carpet. Can some one please explain what exact a dash cap and a dash pad are? What do yall reccomend? What have yall tried? I just want it to look clean and have no carpet. Thanks
Chris

Besides the carpet, you can either straight up replace the whole dash, or get a coverlay like the one in the link below.

98 01 Dodge RAM Dash Cap Skin Cover Factory Matched Presidio Warm Grey C3 | eBay

epr 2x10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24 valve
This cap ^^ just glues over my cracked dash correct? How much of a PITA is it to replace the whole dash? It obviously isnt a 30 min job but what do yall suggest doing? Are these caps worth the money, or is it just smarter to replace the whole dash for the long run? Thanks
Chris

oxymoron29

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine
5.2L
!

i guess i'm lucky that my ram dash has no cracks...however it is avoidable with 2 measures:

1. always use a sun shade when parked / on sunny days
2. crack your windows about 1/2" in the summer to equalize the temps inside

we all know that a car in 30+ celcius direct sunlight can get alarmingly hot in the summer, not a surprise that plastics cant hold up to the contraction / expansion

we have 3 other cars (88, 91, 89) that we've done this on, are not garage queens, and have zero cracks, only slight warping.

just my 2 cents!