Dash Skins... How Long Do They Last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
OK, so my truck had another fatal blow to the dash this week. I hit a rumble strip on the side of the highway and almost cried as a crack decided to form down the middle of my dash, and it even got my pristine bezel, which made it worse. I've seen the price of the ABS overlays, and I've seen the sinful price of a full replacement.

My question is, if secured right, how long does the ABS overlays last? Will installing an overlay prevent the dash from cracking more? How well does the silicone hold up that is used to install the overlay?

I guess my concern is that I'll install an overlay and my dash will continue to fall apart underneath it. Can't have that happening. I love my truck too much.

Thanks for the input,
Brandon

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I ran one for almost 4 years before i yanked it out for a real dash replacement. Actually sold it in good condition too. They hold up plenty fine

OP
OP
MCIntoDarkness
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum V6
I ran one for almost 4 years before i yanked it out for a real dash replacement. Actually sold it in good condition too. They hold up plenty fine

Thanks for that info. This truck won't see many more years of permanent highway use. I've got my eyes set on a Challenger locally that I'm in the process of procuring. Pop's old truck is gonna go into the shop and start being transformed back to original, only to come out on the weekends :naughty: