De-scenting a vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey, all. I've got an old Mountaineer, total beater, that I really should turn into cash. Big problem is, literally, it stinks. Sat for quite a while and mice did a number on the interior. I spent an entire day cleaning out the interior and literally made it look several years newer. Problem is, the interior, despite my efforts, has this strong, musty smell which is going to literally drive away anyone who approaches.

I need to nuke the stinkies as best I can with as little money invested as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Also, there appears to be a few resident spiders inside, judging from the webs that have suddenly appeared. Some of these "bug bombs" that I've read about have a "de-scenting" effect. Maybe these are my ticket to knock out two birds with one stone?

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
X2 on what wiggy said.
I use it every so often.
Use the new car scent, it is strong at first, BUT does work.

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on what exactly stinks... If it's in the seats/carpets you will want to extract it. If not, the other things just mask the smell for a short time. Even something like a little green clean machine works wonders with a bit of good cleaner. Another option is a good vapor steamer and then simply a shop vac to suck the water out. If you go with the steamer, steam the vents while you are at it.

Nathan Haslag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may want to use two or three

It will likely cover the scent for s good while but if it's bad it may come back if something is moldy or wet

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it's real bad I suggest pulling out the carpet and cleaning it outside the vehicle. (i've pressure washed the carpet before and it worked well) Shampoo the seats etc. While all those things are drying somewhere warm with some airflow clean the rest of the interior. The mildew is probably deep in there if it sat a long time and it's really the only way to actually get rid of it.

Nathan Haslag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bombs are $7 each
If that doesn't fix it you will have to track down the problem area and super clean it

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If you had a rodent problem, most of the smell is *****. Powered Lime, like for your yard, will neutralize the acid, killing the smell. You can buy lime at any Lowes or farm and garden store.

Also, Detailers use an Ionizer to kill smells like cigarette smoke in interiors. I've been told they can take a heavily smoked in vehicle and clean it up and run the ionizer over the weekend and you cant tell the vehicle was ever smoked in. YMMV

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also look into Nature's Miracle. It is a stain and odor remover for pets. It has enzymes that eat the proteins left behind by excretions which is definitely what you have. You can get it at any local pet store.

It's all I've ever needed to clean up any pet mistakes (mostly throw up, eww!) and does a heck of a job getting rid of the fish smell on my boat carpet.

wegotjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have used the Natures miracle in the gallons for multiple vehicles and it works for moderate smell but not for the real bad mildew, smoke, rodent, etc smells. The best is a Ozone / ion machine that really do a amazing job.Mine is a home model that we use for about 24hrs to a new vehicle that I bring in that's getting detailed.I will say that on super bad vehicles that they never get to 100%, i believe it's because u really need to remove all the venting and have that cleaned or replaced.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Hey guys, question... Started getting a nasty smell in my truck the other day and after some looking, I found my 16 month old's lost sippy cup of milk under my seat. I got the cup out and pulled the mats but the smell is still in there. My truck only has 12,000 miles and DID still smell brand new. Any cleaners out there that I can use to get the dirty foot smell out of my truck? The milk would have had to be there for at least 2 weeks but with all the cold weather we'd been having, the smell wasn't there until the first nice day.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nothing better than an ozone generator... it is toxic so know what youre doing...

Its what pros use...

Bought mine off amazon and got rid of all the cigarette odor permanently...

Anything else is a deodorant... ozone destroys the actual odor...

It can damage seals though if done incorrectly...

Bought my unit on amazon for 100$ or so

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'd bet you have a combination of moldy carpets that need to come out and be shampooed and dried (and maybe dyed back to original color) before reinstallation and mouse **** and crap up in the upholstery. The head liner may be infested as well.

I would definitely pull out the seats, vacuum and blow, and consider a few applications of a diluted peroxide solution sprayed on the foam, not upholstery. Stay away from bleach it will ruin things.

While all that is out, do your bug bomb.

Once you've dealt with the mold and critters you can leave scent fixing things like dryer sheets in nooks and crannies as you reinsert the interior.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mice ***** is one of the hardest compounds to neutralize. A lot of 'fresheners' don't work on mice like they claim. If you look up Mythbusters on youtube and search for "Mice *****, Mythbusters" they did an episode where they came up with their own formula using a blend of household products which worked better than the commercial products they tested.

I tried this on my Land Rover after the mice had gotten into the heater box through the outside of the vehicle (thank's land rover for NOT putting a screen over the air inlet!!). The smell was so intense I couldn't hardly bear to drive the vehicle ...and I grew up on a farm, so I can handle smells!!! Anyway, I followed their formula to a "T" and, yes it works! In order to get at the heater box, the entire interior pretty much has to be removed including seats, front carpet, dash and so on. Plus then you have to re-do the AC/charge. It's a TON of work.

Instead, I took a 3' length of 5/8" clear tube (connected to a small shop vac) and fed it through the heater vent from the passenger's side to the main hvac chamber. Using a mini-camera/scope (also snaked into the heater box so I could see what I was doing), i managed to suck out all the mouse nest bit by bit. The hose has a somewhat arc in it which allowed me to rotate it and 'steer' it to where the next pieces were. Took a while, but I got it. I was also able to remove the blower and remove the main mouse nest material in that area. Once I had all the next material removed, I made a 180 degree spray nozzle and on a small hose and fed it into the box and sprayed the anti-***** solution all around. I mixed the solution into a bucket and used a $10 mini submersable pump I already had. It worked great! The bad water drained out the AC drain ...and I also left the vacuum tube in there to 'suck' the water out too so it wouldn't run onto the carpet. I used a brush and applied the 'anti-***** solution' in the blower fan area and anything I thought might have been in contact with the mice. I did it a couple times. Again, I was using a mini scope camera like you can get at Harbor Freight (which I already owned) so I could 'see' what I was doing inside the heater box. After I let it 'soak' for 30 minutes or so, I rinsed it down with regular water, put it all together and let it dry. The whole process took maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. I also fabbed up a mouse-proof screen over the air inlet so mice can't come in again.

The short story is the mouse smell was/is gone and has never returned since, even on hot days. Not even a whiff, ...and I did this job about 5 years ago! It even smells pleasant in there as I used a little lemon scent soap in the formula like they suggested. I am keen to mice ***** smell as I work on a lot of old cars. I can smell it in an instant. So I'm please to report it works. I hope this story helps someone. But you'll have to apply it wherever the mouse ***** is. I don't know the formula off the top of my head, but do a search like I described above, you'll find it.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Check out our new Charcoal Odor bag........

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/specials/sub-category-1/adam-s-charcoal-odor-bag.html

Looking to get rid of odors without covering it up with an air freshener or scented option? We have the product for you! Introducing Adam's all new bamboo-activated charcoal odor bag-- the easiest way to keep the odors and moisture found beneath what eyes can see out. Sealed in a durable linen and filled with bamboo-activated charcoal, these bags are safe to use on any material or surface. The key to this product is in the bag where hundreds of charcoal beads soak up odors and moisture, and function as a sponge while removing impurities from the air around it! While at work on the floor of your car or truck, these bags use the air flowing through it and act as filter for any unwanted particles in the air! Contains no fragrance or chemicals. Non-toxic.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ Do you have any products or procedure that will remove the SOURCE of the order that have not been previously mentioned?
Jay