Dead animal smell 2016 1500 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is going to sound weird... but check your truck water/mold and mildew. We had a similar problem with a work vehicle last year. Employees started reporting a dead animal smell that slowly got worst and worst. The garage tore the thing apart and never found a cause. Eventually we discovered leaky rear passenger door. The sub-floors were soaked and the vehicle had slowly developed a horrible mold issue over a few months. True Story! Good luck.

^ This madee think of the notorious, leaky 3rd brake light. Don't discount other areas because it seems stronger with the air on. Your nose could be tricking you by thinking that the smell is stronger with air on when you could just be getting a breath of fresh air from your vents, then another punch in the nostrils from the stank source.

Buff98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New to the board, and a dissatisfied owner of a 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Hemi Laramie with 1,400 miles.

The vehicle has been in the shop for a fan clutch replacement (took the dealer 2 times to diag it correctly).

For the last four or five weeks, there is a horrible dead animal smell that is apparent in the cab of the truck after the engine gets warm. The smell comes through the vents, and is less apparent with the recirculation on. It is currently at the dealer for the 2nd time for this problem.

The smell is awful outside the truck too, and I've been able to isolate it to the front passenger corner near the coolant bottle. When I park the truck in the garage, it fills the whole garage with the smell. A search of this site revealed many other owners with similar problems. It seems the dealers were replacing the hoses, flushing the coolant system, and sending people on their way.

My dealer acknowledges the smell exists, but reports the operation of the truck is completely normal and there is nothing wrong. Chrysler is involved at this point, but have not been any help yet.

I'm curious if people were able to get the smell to go away?

Thanks in advance for your input.
My dad had same problem with a 2105 Ram he had. They said that the hoses reacted with the coolant & started to deteriorate causing the smell. They changed coolant & hoses & flushed system a couple of times & the smell never went away. The truck was in several times over a short span & he had to get a Lemon Law lawyer involved but eventually Dodge bought the truck back from him for full value.

Mocefous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
I am experiencing a similar problem with my 2015 ram but mold danky smell. Dealer says there was a bulletin issued stating that it was the evaporator and only some trucks do it. I'm not happy since the cost will be about $1100. I was hoping to find answers here.
Had similar problem w/ 07 Ram and found a mouse nest under cowling covering windshield wiper motor.
Good luck.