Dead PCM 98 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gave up on the 'ol girl over a year ago. She's been sitting there mocking me ever since...
98 2WD 1/2 ton 5.2

New fuel pump assembly, ASD relay, pickup coil, battery, battery terminals, and 3 reman PCMs at least... I'm sure there are things I've replaced that I don't recall. With the first two PCMs she died, would run a while, then just die mid trip while driving near my home (luckily) on a gravel road. With the third warranty PCM that Oreilly's obviously didn't want to give me she wouldn't even start. That's when I sad screw it. I haven't bothered to look at anything, but I know it's been popping PCMs. So, my question is, has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, what in the heck fixed it? Thanks!

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Factory Mopar reman pcm. Never had a problem with one.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll give it a whirl I guess, have to buy another at this point anyway. I borrowed one when all this started. I changed the pump and it wouldn't start so I installed the borrowed pcm and it started but didn't run long... I had fuel pressure at that point but it wouldn't start/run. I had to return the borrowed unit (which had to be replaced) and it never would start again with mine so I bought the first one and had it flashed. I'm a little concerned with purchasing another new one in case I have the same issue, but I guess I'll find out. Thanks.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I think you should find out why it's blowing PCMs before you spend the dough on another one. You probably have a short to voltage that is blowing these units up. Check/test your wire harness and clean all of your grounds before you waste your money.

My truck actually had a MOPAR Reman in it when I was having PCM issues. Ordered an A1 Cardone reman. That unit had issues. Rather than play the warranty game, I returned the A1 unit and diagnosed the old PCM myself. Found the bad connection on the board using a volt meter. Turned out that the MOPAR reman PCM had bad solder on the step transformer on the front of the board. Repaired the unit myself.

Lots of frustration in between, but glad I fixed the problem.

Even MOPAR units have issues at some point.

Truck hasn't skipped a beat since.

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My cousin has agreed to buy the truck as it was our grandfather's. I bought a totaled 2000 Ram 4x4 with the 5.2 that runs and drives. My time was limited because I travel for work, but I installed the Oreilly's pcm in the 2000 and had no fuel or fire. Figured I could put the fuel pump on a switch if I at least had fire but no go. So I pulled the pcm apart couldn't find any visible issues and the battery was dead in the 98 so I couldn't test fire it before I left. I'm betting on a faulty pcm or three... Dealer wants over $600. What's another reliable vendor without breaking the bank?

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Flagship1 had very mixed reviews, but I bit the bullet. So far so good. Arrived on time and pre flashed.

OP
OP
J

jessejameslnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well that was short lived. Didn't make it 1/4 mile and it died midshift. Coincidence? Rebuilt trans.