Delete the cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I do away with the CAT on my 2010 Ram 3500, will I experience any problems? Will it cause malfunction codes?

This is my first real Dodge, and my first diesel. I bought it at the beginning of this year (2011) with 6000 miles on it. It was owned by a little old lady that only drove it to church........, yea right. It seems to be a great truck. when I, or should I say, if I, ever get the money up, I want to delete the dpf and egr, and get a programmer. But that is later. For now, I'm just wondering about the CAT. MEOW!

Thanks,
Dooner

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Welcome the the forum Dooner

As for the cat .. yes it is restrictive , you have a few options you can get a cat delete pipe
to put in place of the cat , or remove the muffler . Both are about the same restrictions

As for causing codes on the older CTD's no . On the new CTD not sure .

Check out our vendor XDP , and make a post on what you want to do and they can hook you up ... Get a RF discount also .

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I'm not sure the 2010 had a CAT but maybe DPF for the 6.7L engines. I would hook up with the vendor and talk over you options of properly deleting it from the exhaust system.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I wanna say the cat is in the downpipe so it's not going to be as easy as just cutting it out an putting a delete pipe in

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
^^ The 2011 has 2 cats one on the down pipe off the turbo and one by the muffler .. Just seen a pic on the net on it .

OP
OP
Dooner

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From what I can visually see under my RAM, the exhaust comes down from the turbo, turns toward the rear, runs back about two feet and into the DPF filter, then back another foot into the CAT, going back about three feet into the muffler, and then runs over the axle and out behind the wheels on the passenger side.
I can see the sensors for the DPF before and after it, and the sensors before and after the CAT. I read where it senses when there is a greater restriction across the CAT, but never heard if it would read less restriction and cause a fault code.
I'll check with the vendor, but was hoping that someone had done this on their RAM.
Thanks for the replies.

Sweet Action

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
There is only 1 cat that's located in the down pipe. The first big canister under the truck is the diesel particulate filter, followed by the NOX filter and then into the muffler. The muffler on the 6.7 isnt restrictive at all and is more or less just a resonator. Removing just the cat or muffler will yield no benefit at all and would be a waste of time.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First time post to this site, been a member on cumminsforum for a few years. I deleted the cat, nox filter, and dpf but left the factory muffler. I have a programmer to run code free but I picked up 3 mpg just by opening up the exhaust and disabling the EGR. Truck runs great and I get better milage to boot. I'd say go for it but that just me.

crolleo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Defineately get rid of all that garbage in the exhaust and get a tuner to delete codes. I went from around 11 mpg in town to 15mpg in town and 16 on the highway to around 22-23. Might cost a bit to do all the work I got the full package from xdp for right around 1600. But after about 40 fillups at the gas station it has paid for itself. Plus you won't be wasting your time at the dealership getting your turbo cleaned and dpf force regen'd. And I agree just taking out the cat in the downpipe won't do anything. I looked at everything when I pulled it off and it is amazing that anything was able to push through all that crap in the first place.

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i got rid of my cat and muffler and seriously noticed a difference. no codes or anything on my 04.5

XtremeDiesel

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Dooner, The older Pre-07.5 5.9 trucks won't have any issues removing the cat. On the 6.7 I can't say you'll notice a whole lot by taking the cat out and leaving everything else in.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I should have been more clear. I agree with all of the other posts and It won't do any good to delete JUST the cat, not going to help you any. What I meant to say when I suggested you go for it , I was referring to all of the deletes and a tuner. Sorry if my post was misleading.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I guess I should have been more clear. I agree with all of the other posts and It won't do any good to delete JUST the cat, not going to help you any. What I meant to say when I suggested you go for it , I was referring to all of the deletes and a tuner. Sorry if my post was misleading.

What tuner do you use I have not bought a CTD yet but I am trying to do my research for when I find one I want and can afford too haha

$miley

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
What tuner do you use I have not bought a CTD yet but I am trying to do my research for when I find one I want and can afford too haha

$miley

H&S mini maxx is hands down the best tuner out for 6.7. There black maxx has the same features but it is only a hand held and doesnt have the monitor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio