Detailing: How to Claybar/Favorite Product

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Trupiano, Sep 4, 2012.

Favorite Clay bar Product

1. Adams Detailing Clay Bar

14.2%
  2. Meguires Smooth Surface Clay Bar

35.8%
  3. Mothers California Gold Clay Bar

31.1%
  4. Other

18.9%
  1. Trupiano

Trupiano Registered User

Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
    Ram Year:
    2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    This thread is soley to explain proper and helpful ways to claybar. If you want to add a video, make it a video you, or another RF member made, no outside stuff. If you know some great tips/tricks, make a vid and post it up here, or explain your processes to help out members thinking of claybaring!

:pedobear:

[yt]EtkQYGhl2Wk[/yt]

crewchief likes this.
  2. Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Cummins
    When I detailed cars for my cousins dealership I always used a purple clay bar
    At home I use the mothers kit
    Can't tell any difference between the two

I also just use regular water rather then a spray detailer, wash the vehicle after with a wax based car wash and finish with a fresh coat of wax

3. Pull Ya

Pull Ya Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I like the video!!!! Please remember that there is a possibility that you may leave some small scratches when you clay bar. Check for scratches after you clay bar and if there are any, you must polish them out before your seal or wax your truck. Polishing is a seperate step before you seal or wax your truck. Sealant and or wax will not correct(remove) the scratches.
    Jay

768mph and Slidder like this.
  4. res1551cue

res1551cue Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I clay barred my truck today and I gotta say I have never felt it so smooth. Will be going in for a wax in a few minutes.

5. MK12RAM

MK12RAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Make sure to spend a little extra time on the rear end of the vehicle. As a vehicle goes down the road it kicks up dirt and dust and it sticks to the back (think about everytime you have gone down a dirt road and see how much more dirt and dust is on the back of the truck than the rest of the vehicle). Sure the front as more bugs and what not but everytime I've clayed a vehicle the back end (truck lid and bumper) was the place I picked up the most dirt on the bar. You can clay your windows and chrome bumpers and really make them pop when you throw a coat of wax on after. A Claybar is really good for overspray as well.

Sagebrush2500 likes this.
  6. res1551cue

res1551cue Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Yeah I noticed that too. Do you recommend polishing and waxing right after or is it okay to wait a few hours. Right now its like 9pm and there is no light outside so I cant really see to wax the truck.

Slidder likes this.
  7. MK12RAM

MK12RAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    You can probably get away with just claying seeing that your truck is 2012. If you have any swirl marks or small scratches then go ahead and polish. I usually do 2 stages of polish, 1 with some mild grit and then a cream polish. Make sure and use a orbital buffer. They won't leave any swirls. I use a 15lb orbital and everything comes out perfect everytime. Polishing by hand is gonna be a bitch so just prepare yourself if thats how you have to do it. Like I said though, if everything looks good and the surface was just dirty but no swirl marks or scratches, clay and then wax.

8. res1551cue

res1551cue Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Yeah. I just polished the drivers quarter panel by hand. lol. As soon as the auto part store opens up I am going to get a buffer.

9. res1551cue

res1551cue Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Here's how she turned out. Ended up doing it all by hand.

[​IMG]

scobbyanddale likes this.
  10. MK12RAM

MK12RAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Looks good! Good choice on color! Just wait til you get it in the sun, it should look something like this...

[​IMG]

Make sure you wax the door jams and the cross hair part of the grill. Water and dirt gets into the door jams and you want to make sure that you can clean them easily. Clay and Wax the headlights (this will help prevent them from hazing over), taillights, and even the side view mirrors (the mirror itself, not the black plastic). Hell, even wax the wheels. Anything with wax on it will bead water and will clean easier.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012