Detailing: How to Claybar/Favorite Product

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Trupiano, Sep 4, 2012.

Favorite Clay bar Product

1. Adams Detailing Clay Bar

14.2%
  2. Meguires Smooth Surface Clay Bar

35.8%
  3. Mothers California Gold Clay Bar

31.1%
  4. Other

18.9%
  1. ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2002 Ram 1500 QC
    Engine:
    4.7L
    Geez from reading a bunch of detailing threads...I'm gonna have to go claybar mine. Never have done it before.
    So Wash, Clay, Polish, Wax?
    And should I keep it away from the badges or what?

2. SmokedRam

SmokedRam Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Yup, you can technically clay any non porous material...I even had some nasty bug guts that didn't come off on my mirror housings, the clay took them right off. Just make sure you use a lubricant, like a detailing spray and don't get stingy with it. Once the clay slides right over the panel you're claying, it's done.

3. ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2002 Ram 1500 QC
    Engine:
    4.7L
    Okay, So just like the video. Decent pressure, and back and forth a few times. And stay away from black plastic? I doubt my truck has ever been clay barred and its 11 years old. Is an excess of dirt and crap going to get on the clay bar, Do i need to rinse or wipe off the Bar after every section(door,door,hood,tailgate,etc)

4. ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2002 Ram 1500 QC
    Engine:
    4.7L
    And is this stuff available at an Auto parts store? I've seen them on the websites, and man does the Adams stuff look sweet but its expensive! Lol. Could probably spend a grand just gathering up all their cleaning stuff :p I'll probably just decide between Mequires and Mothers depending on price? Seeing those are 2 popular ones.

5. SmokedRam

Ram Year:
    Engine:

All you need to do with the clay is knead it and fold it after every panel. I used it on my black plastic mirror housings and all my glass. As for the pressure...let the clay do the work...don't use circular patterns, go left to right and right to left.

Right now, Autozone has the Mothers California Gold Kits on sale for $14.99...comes with two 80 ounce clay bars, detailing spray and a microfiber.

6. ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2002 Ram 1500 QC
    Engine:
    4.7L
    Ahhh sweeet! I'm gonna have to stop by after class and get some. Will have to wait til it warms up to use it though :( Since youre on here...Could you help me with picking some other washing/detailing products? Or would you like me to PM you Smoked?

7. SmokedRam

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I've used a couple different brands. I really like the Mothers California Gold Wash N Wax, I just started using the Mothers California gold Spray Wax, it's good stuff too. For touch ups, the Mothers California Gold Quick Detailer is good too. For tire dressing I use the Armor All Spray Foam, on my interior, I use Armor All Cleaning Wipes, then hit it with Armor All Detail Wipes. Can't beat the convenience of the wipes for sure and no mess application.

I was using stuff from a detailing shop, but getting their stuff is too hard for me, because their shop is 30+ miles from my house. So, I started using the Mothers and I am really liking it so far.

8. ZakkBaker

ZakkBaker Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2002 Ram 1500 QC
    Engine:
    4.7L
    Okay, Ill check out what Mothers stuff I can get. Ill start with that brand, Thanks Smoked :) As far as just simple wash soap, any thing special or will any random one from wal mart work. I cant remember which one is in the garage right now... And what about tire cleaner for ya? And have you seen those grit filters in store? Those seem very useful! I wanna do the 2 bucket method, so ill pick some up at wally world. 100 bucks at Adams! :p

9. SmokedRam

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    The wash n wax is all I use for soap...for tire cleaner, I have an extra mitt I use for my wheels and tires, I do it the old school way...get on my knees and scrub them with the wash n wax. When they dry, I hit them with the tire foam.

the 2 bucket method is great! The Mothers Wash N Wax is about $10 for a jug of it. Smells like bubble gum, lol.

10. 03MopaRamman

03MopaRamman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2003 Forgottens
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7 (1 of 2)
    Voted, and Miss Froggy since he went AWOL. Hope he's doing Well!