Diesel noob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joel W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So my 15 sport was stolen and im looking at a 13 longhorn diesel 156 km 6 inch lift on 37 toyo mt dealer is askin 47988 is this a good price

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Need a little more info to say for sure.

What model?

What options?

General condition?

OP
OP
J

Joel W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ram 2500 longhorn megacab diesel 6 inch bds lift 37 inch toyo mt power steps light bar in grill aftermarket tails and third exhaust looks super clean but is 6hrs away to go look hopin its woth it im kinda in loveScreenshot_2017-11-14-13-04-54.jpgtruck is fully loaded

OP
OP
J

Joel W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If i do go look at it what should i keep in mind this will be my first diesel

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Is this in Canadian $$, price seems really high for US$.

Considering it's appears to be modified to include the CTD, I would personally avoid it. You can get into $$$ by inheriting someone else's mistakes in modifying and tinkering on a CTD.

If your not aware diesels nowdays will laydown on you, the emissions will force it shut down or start counting down till it restricts power. I have had a 2013 CTD say it had 200 mikes for it was restricting speed to 5mph. The fix was a new DPF filter, $$$$.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joel W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah canadian price was gonna offer 43500 nothing performance wise was installed and ive owned lifted half ton trucks im aware of premature wear on components tires ect

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Good GAWD! I paid less than that for my 13 bighorn brand new. Seems High....

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For around $10k more you can get you a brand new one with no miles, under warranty, cheaper insurance, and a lower interest rate, then do what you want to it and know it's done right. You don't know how well this truck was taken care of, or when the mods went on and how long before something breaks. Me personally, I'd go new if you could. Gotta realize, that truck is already 5, almost 6 years old. As soon as the 19's drop, price gonna go way down.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ It’s in Canada... so the price is what it is. If your ready to jump to a diesel then go for it, you definitly won’t be let down.

OP
OP
J

Joel W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought the price was about average for what i was lookin at maybe a couple thousand high but with lift rims rubber flares im ok with it at that price it 8 to 10k in extras i dont gotta do the brand new lifted larimie at the stealership 98 to 104k

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am by no means a diesel expert, but the truck does look like it was well cared for (at least appearance wise).

However, it worries me how rough it was driven in those 156,000 kms. The price does seem high for a 5 year old truck, interest will be a little higher. It’s hard to say wether to buy it or not without a thorough inspection of the components! I would have to purchase it and have something wear out or break right away.

Overall it’s your money and you gotta do what makes you happy. It’s very nice and I love the Megacab. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 2500
If you don't have experience with modern diesels or don't need the towing abilities I would steer clear unless you have a hard-on for a diesel truck and have to have one. Especially one modified by the previous owner to this extent.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd personally never buy any lifted or modded truck but that's just me. Aftermarket stuff just elevates the chances that the truck has been ridden hard and/or will have non-warrantied problems.

I realize this is an over-generalization and I may be looking past some good trucks but the big dollar repairs and complexity of these modern trucks is something I don't want any part of.