diesel vs hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yup I have 1500 and I have been through many bearings and pinion seals some due to shotty dealer work and overloading my truck and asking it to work. I have towed so many miles considering it has nothing to do with my living it is sad. I bought the truck to work it some and just commute mostly. For me a 1500 is probably the right choice but I am pushing it many times I know. I actually like the idea of 2500 HEMI for me just because I really just need beefier suspension not really more power and my short commute would be hell on diesel even more than gas. I just feel anytime you go small you are adding risk. My grandpa always tells people look in mirror and ask yourself what kind of driver you are. If you like to drive hard get the biggest engine you can for that model and you will be better off. Makes sense as I know I would not be able to have 4.7L in Ram but in the Durango when it was the biggest you could get then it was ample in there.

Don't forget about things like climate and commute length those can be a large factor in going with diesel or not and probably reason I have not went diesel route yet.

$miley

unclemark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi, 4.7
Nothing tows like an oil burner. Torque out the ***** and thats what gets the wheels turning.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
He did say he was towing 5-10 times per year... That is hardly any towing. Even if he is towing near capacity, he is not doing it very often, and as long as he pays attention while he is, I doubt he is going to hurt the truck.

bhbdvm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Black Gold Pearl Laramie on order
Engine
Hemi 5.7/8 Speed
Ideally you should tow no more than 85% of your max tow rating. This isn't saying you couldn't do it, BUT better for truck over long haul and more importantly for safety and handling while towing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I had both the Cummins and the Hemi, both are great motors. Drove a Cummins professionally and had a Ram with one. Depends on how long you want to own your truck. If you plan on owning it for a couple decades or more, then go with the Cummins for sure. But also consider Diesel fuel is not what it used to be, so if you get one make sure you are religious about your additive package. Also, another consideration is if your in Cold country, there are other things you have to do to make sure your fuel doesn't gel. And the Hemi is no walk in the park either, you need to keep it in tune and pay for tuneups more often if you don't install plugs yourself, and in the Hemi that is no easy task. Having had both, I do have to say the Cummins is just about the best thing you can have under the hood, definitely worth it but also much more work then a gasser.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had both the Cummins and the Hemi, both are great motors. Drove a Cummins professionally and had a Ram with one. Depends on how long you want to own your truck. If you plan on owning it for a couple decades or more, then go with the Cummins for sure. But also consider Diesel fuel is not what it used to be, so if you get one make sure you are religious about your additive package. Also, another consideration is if your in Cold country, there are other things you have to do to make sure your fuel doesn't gel. And the Hemi is no walk in the park either, you need to keep it in tune and pay for tuneups more often if you don't install plugs yourself, and in the Hemi that is no easy task. Having had both, I do have to say the Cummins is just about the best thing you can have under the hood, definitely worth it but also much more work then a gasser.

when you say "much more work than a gasser", what all is involved? could you elaborate more? also what all is involved on the "additive package"?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
when you say "much more work than a gasser", what all is involved? could you elaborate more? also what all is involved on the "additive package"?

I was driving a rig for Rock Island when they took the sulfur out of diesel, and the mechanics where very upset about it because the second greatest benefit to having a Cummins under the hood was longevity. The Low or really none sulfur diesel rapes your diesel of necessary lubricity that engine needs for the traditional long life. I know when I bought my Cummins I was going to be religious about making sure that I would add an additive to help my engine get the longevity it deserved despite the government making it harder to do so. I'm not a chemist, but the diesel additives I'm sure are friction modifiers to allow for better lubrication due to the drying effect of low sulfur fuel.

It has been so long I don't even remember what I used personally, but I remember researching on TDR and choosing what worked for me. Unfortunately I had to sell the truck only after owning it 6 mos because my damn knee gave out and I couldn't shift it anymore, still miss that Cummins.

Diesel is filthy compared to gas, so everything you would imagine can be effected by this, fuel filters, injectors, fuel pumps tend to go out more often then gas. I remember that the additive also dealt with the water issue in diesel, so supposedly it helped disperse the water so I wouldn't have to drain the water separator, just something you don't really have to think about with a gas engine. The challenges to owning a diesel come from the nature of diesel fuel itself, dirty and prone to carry water and can gel between zero and minus ten degrees. Anyhow, if you ask me it is worth it, but anyone considering buying one should go to the Turbo Diesel Registry and find out what all the guys are doing over there.

I guess much more work isn't really accurate, it is just that gas engines need little to no effort when it comes to monitoring or worrying about the fuel delivery system.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
understood..... thanks for the awesome explanation

vanburi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (gas)
Something to keep in mind with regards to the diesel option, resale value holds extremely well over a similar gas model...

Regards,

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah, another valid point. something that appealed to me was the longevity of the engines if taken care of

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Something to keep in mind with regards to the diesel option, resale value holds extremely well over a similar gas model...

Regards,

This is no joke, I traded in my Cummins for 600 dollars more FROM A DEALER then I paid for it on an ad car (Ford Expedition) that was already 10 g's off MSRP. When I bought the Cummins it was 7 grand off MSRP or about the standard good deal. The only upgrade I put in was a FMJ bedliner. I still shake my head whenever I think about that, lol.