Differential oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My service advisor said my dif will be do when I hit 60K miles. I'm currently at 31k. I rarely tow a small 4x8 trailer and I rarely throw it in 4x4. I'm sure it's buried in here somewhere, but do I only need to worry about the rear dif since I run a 1500?
To my knowledge the front Differential is turning all the time even in 2wd . Shifting into 4wd is an electrical action engaging a right & left side actuator to engage the CV shaft . So I'd recommend changing both at the same time [emoji106][emoji106]
You can change both in less than 30 mins yourself and the fluid is pretty cheep even for top of the line fluid .

If I'm wrong ...some one please chime in [emoji16]
Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have been a synthetic oil fan for years ! Now getting close to 50 k LIGHT DUTY use I am thinking of changing the oil to 100% synthetic ! For those who change to synthetic did you notice any difference ? I have no issue currently ! I know when I switched to 100% synthetic oil to my car,truck or motorcycle I did not notice a difference other then me feeling better lol

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been a synthetic oil fan for years ! Now getting close to 50 k LIGHT DUTY use I am thinking of changing the oil to 100% synthetic ! For those who change to synthetic did you notice any difference ? I have no issue currently ! I know when I switched to 100% synthetic oil to my car,truck or motorcycle I did not notice a difference other then me feeling better lol
As far as Differential gear oil goes ...I noticed no difference .

Engine oil I absolutely noticed a difference as my engine is extremely smooth and quiet as a church mouse now .

Xsmn oil I noticed a big difference in smoother shifting .

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
As far as Differential gear oil goes ...I noticed no difference .

Engine oil I absolutely noticed a difference as my engine is extremely smooth and quiet as a church mouse now .

Xsmn oil I noticed a big difference in smoother shifting .

Thanks for your input ! I never really noticed a big difference with synthetic but use it because I believe it offers better protection ! Never had a noisy motor to hear the difference, so good to hear others with good results, I did not think about synthetic transmission oil but now I am lol To me cheap insurance :)

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for your input ! I never really noticed a big difference with synthetic but use it because I believe it offers better protection ! Never had a noisy motor to hear the difference, so good to hear others with good results, I did not think about synthetic transmission oil but now I am lol To me cheap insurance :)
I'm not certain if the Mopar OEM xsmn is 100% synthetic or not but when I changed the filters and fluid at only 47k it definitely shifter better .

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I'm not certain if the Mopar OEM xsmn is 100% synthetic or not but when I changed the filters and fluid at only 47k it definitely shifter better .

I noticed after my first Synthetic oil change the oil was cleaner, each change was better so I believe in the saying that it has Better Thermal Breakdown,so less carbon, And heard the synthetic gear oil has less foaming, so from all you have said and what I have heard Synthetic it is :) I am curious now if the OEM is full synthetic lol

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What does the factory put in the diff’s?? Conventional or a synthetic type

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What does the factory put in the diff’s?? Conventional or a synthetic type

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)
I assume it's the Mopar fluid , I know when I drained it out at about 30k it looked new still .
Ive seen test results of Mopar diff fluid , not the worst , kinda middle of the pack .
I poured in Redline which was head & shoulders above the other diff fluids on the test I seen [emoji106]

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I myself will be sucking out the FF @ the 10K mile mark & refilling with a combo mix of RL 75W-110/140.
A aftermarket aluminum cover will be added at some point in time. (Very Near Future)

This AAM 11.5 (anti-slip) with the Helical Gear is top notch.
(No Anti-Slip Additive needed with the Helical design)
I have been instructed (Fresh/Clean Gear oil) changed frequently is very vital to this Helical design——-> As well as told to use 110 or 140.
I want to give it the up most attention.

Note: This rearend is not used in the 1500.
I don’t want any confusion.

I even went so far & asked my close friend & Service Mgr within the dealership were I bought my HD2500 about my RL 75W-110/140 combo & he never hesitated to give me his blessing with a large Thumbs Up!

I would not hesitate to run Amsoil SVG but after Shipping/Tax I can flat out get RL much cheaper.

Last edited:

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha yeah it's absolutely ridiculous that it costs that much. Best price I could find online was $22/quart.

From what I can tell it's just ATF+4 with an added friction modifier for the clutch that gives the 4Auto setting.

My owners manual (2009 big horn hemi5.7) advises it’s just ATF+4 fluid for the transfer case.

SoooOOOooo...what’s the best synthetic ATF+4 Fluid?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My owners manual (2009 big horn hemi5.7) advises it’s just ATF+4 fluid for the transfer case.

SoooOOOooo...what’s the best synthetic ATF+4 Fluid?
I'm using Redline C+ [emoji16][emoji16]

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited:

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm using Redline C+ [emoji16][emoji16]

Thank you sir!

I’m looking to go with the Royal Purple Max ATF
Between Amsoil or Royal Purple, I'd go with Amsoil personally.

But Redline C+ is the best ATF+4 fluid out there IMO. Unlike Amsoil and RP which are "one size fits most" ATFs, Redline made C+ is made specifically for Chrysler transmissions/transfer cases.

Did NOT know that. Good info. Will check that out.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Between Amsoil or Royal Purple, I'd go with Amsoil personally.

But Redline C+ is the best ATF+4 fluids out there IMO. Unlike Amsoil and RP which are "one size fits most" ATFs, Redline made C+ specifically for Chrysler transmissions/transfer cases.

This right here. Got a couple family members that work for a RP distributor and while I could get it cheap I still would rather use Redline or other fluids. I've never been too impressed with RP products, outside of their filters (Champ Labs per a Rep). I switched my 44-44 (4 Auto) over to Redline C+ a while back and it works a lot better now.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This right here. Got a couple family members that work for a RP distributor and while I could get it cheap I still would rather use Redline or other fluids. I've never been too impressed with RP products, outside of their filters (Champ Labs per a Rep). I switched my 44-44 (4 Auto) over to Redline C+ a while back and it works a lot better now.
Wait you're running C+ in your 44-44?? How does it run? Clutch engagement ok?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wait you're running C+ in your 44-44?? How does it run? Clutch engagement ok?

It's noticeably better. Using 4Auto when the streets here get really slick in the rain or the occasional once a year ice we get stock was what I would consider pretty meh. With the C+ it engages smoother and it seems more balanced in the power distribution when needed. It also seems to work just as well as before in 4 Lock or 4 Low.