Differential oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trying to catch up on these threads. Glad to see you all are still enjoying that sweet sweet nectar, Red Line! ;)

Anyone interested in some feel free to message me for a quote. We usually have it in stock!

viclava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RLK, thanks for the feedback. Reline it is! I will be ordering engine, and diff lubricants today from Redine, since I cant find it anywhere else for that price with free shipping.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trying to catch up on these threads. Glad to see you all are still enjoying that sweet sweet nectar, Red Line! ;)

Anyone interested in some feel free to message me for a quote. We usually have it in stock!
Thanks for the post Nick ! Ill be calling on you this spring as ill be changing all fluids [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RLK, thanks for the feedback. Reline it is! I will be ordering engine, and diff lubricants today from Redine, since I cant find it anywhere else for that price with free shipping.
Give Nick@gotexhaust a PM I get all of my Redline products from Nick and I'm sure you will find he has excellent prices [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the post Nick ! Ill be calling on you this spring as ill be changing all fluids [emoji106]

Looking forward to it Ronnie. Always a pleasure to work with you!

Give Nick@gotexhaust a PM I get all of my Redline products from Nick and I'm sure you will find he has excellent prices [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Thank you sir! We do try out best to offer these at a great price!!

viclava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ended up purchasing the Amsoil severe duty 75w90 and 75w140 gear oil, because nobody locally carries Redline products. I also went to my local autoparts and picked up a bottle of Lube Gard limited slip supplement for the rear LSD I have with my 3.92 gears. Not sure if I needed it, but figured better to have on hand in case.

Does anyone know if I need it with the Amsoil Severe Duty gear oil for the rear?

Thx in advance

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does anyone know if I need it with the Amsoil Severe Duty gear oil for the rear?
Right from Amsoil's webpage:
AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR is compatible with conventional and synthetic gear oils. Mixing AMSOIL gear oil with other oils, however, will shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed.

Aftermarket oil additives, other than those specified by AMSOIL, are not recommended for use with AMSOIL gear oil.

AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. For applications that require additional limited-slip friction modifier, add AMSOIL Slip Lock[emoji2400].

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/slip-lock/

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ended up purchasing the Amsoil severe duty 75w90 and 75w140 gear oil, because nobody locally carries Redline products. I also went to my local autoparts and picked up a bottle of Lube Gard limited slip supplement for the rear LSD I have with my 3.92 gears. Not sure if I needed it, but figured better to have on hand in case.

Thx in advance
Can't go wrong with Amsoil severe gear oil for a differential imo [emoji106]
I choose Redline mainly because I'm a Redline guy . Test results for these two gear oils are always at the top and similar .

I'd definitely use Amsoils slip lock if needed and not any other product though .

When done just drive to a nearby parking lot asphalt or concrete and drive in slow sharp figure 8's with radio off and windows down while listening for chatter in the rear differential. Any chatter at all requires their slip lock additive [emoji106]

Reactions: U&A

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Just did the Amsoil severe gear switch this week.
When the temps hit single digits the factory stuff gets pretty thick.
Feels like I'm dragging an anchor for the first several miles.
What a difference full synth makes!

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
In case anyone is attempting this on a 3500 the capacities are slightly different.

Front Dif holds 2.2 quarts (L)
Rear Dif holds 4.2 quarts (L)

so you'll need 7 quarts (L) to do the job.

I bought the OEM fluid for $12 a quart on ebay:happy107:. ($30 a quart at the stealership in Canada:flipthebird:)

Will be using this pump to refill when I do the work, hopefully this weekend.

View attachment 92740
Thank you sir. Yes you have a 3500, but what gears? and what weight did you use?

Reactions: U&A

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Why do y'all keep saying 75w90 in the front and 75w140 in the rear? i need to know!!
One the 1500s, the front and rear differentials have different weight specified oil. If you drive a pavement princess that won't ever tow anything you can probably use 75W90 front and rear.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Why do y'all keep saying 75w90 in the front and 75w140 in the rear? i need to know!!

OEM calls for 90W variety on the 3500

I use redline 75W140 for mine. More film strength and ester/PAO base[emoji1303]. Cant ask for more.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Just do 75W140 front and rear and be done with it. It will hurt NOTHING.

Make sure the oil is compatible with your clutch type LDS if you have one.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]