Differential oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well , looks like I've struck a big ten nerve !

@ gofishn o'l retired RR engineer very , very good post and we'll thought and informative my College Football Fan !
LOL !
Don't take my SEC upbringing & Background the wrong way my fanatic friend , I'm just READY for College Football to get here already Sir !
No worries your boys should fair well , but in the end this year's the championship will likely be had by a Left Coast team or one of many S.E.C. Teams

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For me personally I'm glad I didn't wait until 100k to do mine it was inexpensive and fairly easy even for a novice in auto repair such as myself thanks again for the write up R.L.K it was very helpful
Thanks big_red06: !
The differentials and transfer case is so easy to change on these trucks I may do it every 30-40k ish just to make myself happy

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks big_red06: !
The differentials and transfer case is so easy to change on these trucks I may do it every 30-40k ish just to make myself happy

I agree will most likely be doing the same

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone found an alternative to the "unicorn tears" transfer case fluid though? The differentials are easy but the transfer case fluid is the tricky one to find!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's crazy expensive too. Amsoil claims one of their trans fluids will work in the 44-44 but I'm not sure if anyone has tried it yet.....

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anyone found an alternative to the "unicorn tears" transfer case fluid though? The differentials are easy but the transfer case fluid is the tricky one to find!

Call your dealer and get the part number for the transfer case fluid I'm assuming that you are talking about the BW 44-44 fluid then plug it into Amazon got mine for 20 a quart

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

When I first bought my RAM last year, I looked into this pretty hard and found nothing other than speculation of ATF+4 "supposedly" would work but nothing I would risk while in warranty.

As Hemi395 mentioned, Amsoil calls out one of their ATF universal fluids but it is not exactly a spec for spec endorsement as a replacement, just Amsoil would cover you if you had problems related to using their fluid.

At least for me, I would not deviate from the "Unicorn Tears" OEM BW stuff while in warranty. They went out of their way to make that fluid a dark bluish color for a reason and I think it was to know if someone swapped out anything that was not the BW called out fluid.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I first bought my RAM last year, I looked into this pretty hard and found nothing other than speculation of ATF+4 "supposedly" would work but nothing I would risk while in warranty.

As Hemi395 mentioned, Amsoil calls out one of their ATF universal fluids but it is not exactly a spec for spec endorsement as a replacement, just Amsoil would cover you if you had problems related to using their fluid.

At least for me, I would deviate from the "Unicorn Tears" OEM BW stuff while in warranty. They went out of their way to make that fluid a dark bluish color for a reason and I think it was to know if someone swapped out anything that was not the BW called out fluid.

This is a good point as the 44-44 fluid is red like any atf+4 fluid is...

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

At least for me, I would not deviate from the "Unicorn Tears" OEM BW stuff while in warranty. They went out of their way to make that fluid a dark bluish color for a reason and I think it was to know if someone swapped out anything that was not the BW called out fluid.

getting ready to do my truck, this summer and i too am too am going to use the unicorn tears.not worth the worry to do otherwise.

MLK,

not retired, yet. SEC vs Big 10 braggiubg rights is more fun than the the games. Am thinking it is gong to be west coast team, this yeartoo, after last years exhibition. they;ve been overlooked for too long now.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
getting ready to do my truck, this summer and i too am too am going to use the unicorn tears.not worth the worry to do otherwise.

Everything I have read says it is 1.5 quarts fill. So you will at least have a 0.5 quarts to save and only will need to buy 1 quart at the next service.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go HOGS ! S.E.C. RULES

KJ1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So no need to break the bolts and replace the gasket? Just curious

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just Ordered a Mag-Hytec Differential Cover and some Redline 75W-140

Hopefully it goes smooth :)

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just Ordered a Mag-Hytec Differential Cover and some Redline 75W-140

Hopefully it goes smooth :)
Ooooh ! Awesome choices Sir !

Please post P/N s prices and pictures during your install !

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So no need to break the bolts and replace the gasket? Just curious
?? Gheck out post #1 aka the OP , original post . There's pics of the drain plug , it's a 14 mm hex.
Hope this helps !

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im wondering what you guys think of this listing on the Amsoil site. They appear to have a fluid listed for the BW 44-44 T-Case now.

AMSOIL Shop by Product

Attachments

• AMSOIL BW4444.jpg
    AMSOIL BW4444.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 116
  • AMSOIL BW4444 specs.jpg
    AMSOIL BW4444 specs.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 104

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I called Amsoil this morning and they pointed me to the data sheet and confirmed its use for the BW 44-44 T-Case. The data sheet has the Mopar part number listed in the specifications as approved for use.

Hope this helps the next guy in the search for answers.

Attachments

• specs.jpg
    specs.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 98

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Update: I called Amsoil this morning and they pointed me to the data sheet and confirmed its use for the BW 44-44 T-Case. The data sheet has the Mopar part number listed in the specifications as approved for use.

Hope this helps the next guy in the search for answers.

Just to be clear, it is "approved" by AMSOIL and not FCA. Have a transfer case issue under warranty and if claim against the fluid is made as cause, FCA is going to wash their hands of it and you will have to deal with AMSOIL for claim of failure and restitution.

I am sure the AMSOIL will work fine but it is not an approved replacement by FCA.