Differential oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to be clear, it is "approved" by AMSOIL and not FCA. Have a transfer case issue under warranty and if claim against the fluid is made as cause, FCA is going to wash their hands of it and you will have to deal with AMSOIL for claim of failure and restitution.

I am sure the AMSOIL will work fine but it is not an approved replacement by FCA.

Your right, it may not be approved by FCA as they want to sell all there own fluids. But come on, it's not like the stuff dodge sells includes unicorn tears at a secret additive.

The oils Amsoil makes meets the requirements, they could not sell it if it was "kinda close" it has to meet or exceed the manufactures specs. I'm sure that FCA can not deny the claim due to the fluid that was used, as long as it meets the specs.

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the lifetime maxcare warranty for me personally I'm going to continue to use the Mopar fluid for my transfer case I bought it on online for a significant savings over dealerships in my area. I also keep detailed logs of services here at home and online as well as all receipts for everything used for those services that I perform myself just to be on the safe side

Last edited:

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here is a cost break down:

- Local dealers want aprox $615CDN to change fluids on the F/R diff and T-Case

If I do it my self:
- Mopar fluids cost $221
- Amsoil fluids $139

I am going to call Amsoil again tomorrow and ask a few questions about the "slip lock" fluid modifier. If I need to go pick up the molar LSD additive I will.

Thanks for the input guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Your right, it may not be approved by FCA as they want to sell all there own fluids. But come on, it's not like the stuff dodge sells includes unicorn tears at a secret additive.

The oils Amsoil makes meets the requirements, they could not sell it if it was "kinda close" it has to meet or exceed the manufactures specs. I'm sure that FCA can not deny the claim due to the fluid that was used, as long as it meets the specs.

The last part of your statement is assumptions and the legalese of wording is being misconstrued. Amsoil does not say they meet any of those requirements, just they "recommend" it for a slew of specification call outs but none have been independently certified that it meets FCA requirements.

I am sure that 99.99% of people using the AMSOIL stuff is fine. What I am just pointing out is those at risk of making a warranty claim with the stuff in the event of a transfer case failure that may or may not be fluid related.

Borg Warner and FCA for some reason made their OEM fluid color a dark blue rather than the standard red of other transmission fluids. It is either to differentiate that the fluid has been changed to something else and/or the BW/FCA fluid does have something unique about it for some reason besides the color.

I see you are from Canada and do not know how your warranty laws work in detail, in the states in theory, we have the Magnuson Moss Warranty act that basically states the dealership has to prove if a use of a non OEM fluid or part caused the actual failure. In practice, dealerships are known to just outright deny warranty at times regardless if they proved or did not prove the non OEM fluid caused the problem and the customer has to foot the legal bill to sue under Magnuson Moss Warranty act

The path of least resistance is to just use the OEM stuff while in warranty and expect less problems in case of a warranty claim. The AMSOIL stuff is alluring at almost half the cost of the OEM BW MOPAR fluid, but what is saved on the front end, may cost money on the back end if a warranty claim was to arise.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Warranty is only 5 years in Canada and I see his truck is a 2011 so im pretty sure his warranty is expired.

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
the mopar specific fluid for BW 44-44 i bought a few months back was red in color and so was what i drained from the case when it was serviced

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
the mopar specific fluid for BW 44-44 i bought a few months back was red in color and so was what i drained from the case when it was serviced

Interesting, it use to be a dark blue almost black color. Not that I would take this as gospel, I did find one reference one time on the RAM Body Builder site for the chassis cabs, a reference to ATF+4 calling out for the transfer case fluid but I failed to save it and have not been able to find it again. Could have been a typo also.

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the F/R diff and transfer case. I have the BW 44-44, and looking back at all my service papers I have never had the T-case fluid changed, only the F/R diff. So what is in the T-case was original, it was also red like big_red06 stated. Here is a pic of what came out.

I used all Amsoil products that they have listed for the 2011 ram, they mentioned that I should not need the limited slip additive. I purschased it anyway in case it chattered at all after the fluid change. I took it out for a drive and it's quiet and smooth, I will hold on to the additive incase I need it later.

So far so good! I wanted to post my experience so the next guy who goes looking for info like this has something to reverence.

T-case is Signature series multi vehicle ATF - ATFQT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 190

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
R.L.K. a very informative wright up.
Is there a reason you used the heavier fluid than the 75-90 weight fluid?

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you Sir !

My owners manual calls for 75 -140 for the rear and 75-90 for the front .

My truck : 14 Ram QC Express 5.7L Hemi , 6 speed auto xsmn , -45 Xsfer case and 355 differentials.

Thanks again for the kind words Sir !

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see you have 321 diffs , maybe that's the difference , I wouldn't think so but if your owners manual says 90 weight maybe that is the difference?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My owners manual shows the following:
377470a6e455565ddaf0d126679fc925.jpg

Interesting that the heavy duty trucks take a lighter weight gear oil than the 1500s...

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Strange huh ?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just realized I put 75w90 in my front axle and its supposed to have 75w85. Hope thats not a big deal....

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just realized I put 75w90 in my front axle and its supposed to have 75w85. Hope thats not a big deal....
Not a big deal at all , Strang my 14 owners manual says 90 weight and your 13 says 85 weight ?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I just checked my printed owners manual and it says 75w90 for the front. Yet my electronic owners manual says 75w85......

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Things that make you go hmmmm?

Kinda like engine oil is a recommended 20wt but you can use a 30wt if 20wt isn't available

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
Well, I asked the question before I reread my owners manual(((((((((((((
I was under the impression that my rear took the lighter fluid, it takes the heavier stuff.
I do have the LSD.
Thank you guy/guys.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I asked the question before I reread my owners manual(((((((((((((
I was under the impression that my rear took the lighter fluid, it takes the heavier stuff.
I do have the LSD.
Thank you guy/guys.
22 lbs of .045" wire a day !

Good lord what are you welding ?