Differential question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Hey guys I'm currently buying all the parts for my rebuild on my diff and I have everything but one question I need to know is do the 9.25 rear diff for the rams with a LSD have clutch packs for the side gears? Because if so that's the last part I need to buy of not then I'm good for a rebuild. Thank you guys for all the help

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
From what I've read and researched while looking into my gear swap, the factory "anti spin differential" has clutches, and they typically don't like having much more then stock power. That's why people upgrade to a posi trac of Detroit locker. I'm debating if it's worth the $500+ to upgrade the locker. It's already costing me $400 more to swap gears because of the 4wd [emoji51]

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Depends on the options that the truck originally came with. Your best bet would be to have the VIN decoded to verify if the truck you are working on came with the LSD or not. That's assuming no-one has changed the diff in any way since new.

http://www.ramforum.com/f8/how_my_truck_equipped_dodge_ram_build_sheets-15829/

We owned the truck since it was brand new off the lot and I ran the vin and it did come with a LSD diff. I know there's spider gears in there cause I saw them when I changed the fluid last but when I was watching a video on how to get them put of there I saw several where they put in clutches and some where they didn't so I didn't know if only some with the spider gears have clutch packs and some don't or if they only changed the gears and didn't put in new clutches

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
From what I've read and researched while looking into my gear swap, the factory "anti spin differential" has clutches, and they typically don't like having much more then stock power. That's why people upgrade to a posi trac of Detroit locker. I'm debating if it's worth the $500+ to upgrade the locker. It's already costing me $400 more to swap gears because of the 4wd [emoji51]

Well I have the 4.7 so I don't think I can go crazy with power lol but what's the difference woth a posi Trac? I thought they just were different names to call the limited slip

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Well I have the 4.7 so I don't think I can go crazy with power lol but what's the difference woth a posi Trac? I thought they just were different names to call the limited slip

From what I've read, the tru track uses mechanical gears to hold it, the factory uses weaker clutches. You could google some articles comparing them and decide if you need to upgrade or not. Again, I'm not very knowledgeable with the gears, this is all stuff I'm come across in the last few weeks looking for parts for my own gear swap

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I may be incorrect, but just to answer the original question, if you do have a limited slip, it is my understanding that all the 1500's came with clutch driven limited slips, only 2500's or greater had the option of mechanical (the 1500 Mega's may be the exception).

If you are on road only, lockers or changing to mechanical LSD will not be worth it. If you do slight offroading, the a mechanical LSD is for you. If you do heavy offroading, then a locker like a detroit is where you want to be. If you do heavy offroading, and on-road snow/ice, a selectable locker is the ultimate.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I may be incorrect, but just to answer the original question, if you do have a limited slip, it is my understanding that all the 1500's came with clutch driven limited slips, only 2500's or greater had the option of mechanical (the 1500 Mega's may be the exception).

If you are on road only, lockers or changing to mechanical LSD will not be worth it. If you do slight offroading, the a mechanical LSD is for you. If you do heavy offroading, then a locker like a detroit is where you want to be. If you do heavy offroading, and on-road snow/ice, a selectable locker is the ultimate.

No I'm on the road and I have a 1500 I just wanna make sure I buy all the parts to rebuild my rear end

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No I'm on the road and I have a 1500 I just wanna make sure I buy all the parts to rebuild my rear end

Yeah, then I would rebuild the differentials as you planned.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Hey guys I'm currently buying all the parts for my rebuild on my diff and I have everything but one question I need to know is do the 9.25 rear diff for the rams with a LSD have clutch packs for the side gears? Because if so that's the last part I need to buy of not then I'm good for a rebuild. Thank you guys for all the help

If you have the corporate 9.25 limited/anti spin rear then yes you do need clutch packs.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
I've taken my truck to the track many of times.. I did at one time upgrade my lsd to the auburn which is just another set of clutches to replace the stock ones..