Digging Into the Timeless Question, “Which Oil is Better?”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
So does this mean I can run whatever is on sale? Lol

Unfortunately for us 6.4 guys there are not very many oils out there that have the viscosity that our engines require. And then there is the whole, it has to be Mopar "approved" oil, which I have a feeling is probably a bunch of BS.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
No one is discrediting Blackstone, just pointing out the report has no real finding. All sizzle, no steak.

The take away I got after reading their report is the various engines had more to do with their wear than the oil used in them. That is a real finding, don't you agree?

It tells me that today's oils are all good regardless the color and brand name printed on the label of the jug the oil is in.

So does this mean I can run whatever is on sale? Lol

I retired by 2003 Tahoe in 2013 after driving it for 300,000 miles. All I did was scheduled maintenance and oil changes based on the vehicle's oil life meter. I bought what ever oil was on sale, with respect to the oil rating requirements for the engine. After 300,000 miles, it only used about 1/2 quart of oil between changes that average between 5,000 and 7,000 miles.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I currently own a 2003 Jeep Liberty with 271,000 miles on the clock. It has had Wal -Mart super tech synthetic since it rolled off the lot. I recently replaced the valve cover gaskets and found no sludge, just bronze colored heads and rocker arms. The engine burns a half quart every 5k oil change while still getting 22 mpg. If the tranny holds up I can see it going 400k with no problems.