disable auto park, can it be done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
mine is disabled from factory????, truck shifted into reverse, drive, park, drive then finally got to work and figured out the driver door was open, dumb fca giving random evic statements that dont mean anything.

Me and my gf are like wtf, we are in Drive, we dont want the truck in Park, wtf is this thing doing?!?!??!?

S1945ES.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just got a recall from fca to engage auto park and calibrate my fuel tank. The recall said optional. I'm hoping I can get the fuel tank calibration, but not the auto park. BTW it turns out auto park makes it a real PITA if you need to push your car. Not nearly as easy to push and steer with the door closed.

Neil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While on a fishing trip last week in Maine , I borrowed my buddies truck to go to a favorite spot up river fo a few hrs. When I went to go back ,the truck started up fine but it wouldn’t go into reverse. The damm knob turned but it stayed in neutral. it kept giving the error mess.(truck must be in park before going into gear). After trying it a few times I figured I had screwed up my buddies new Ram. Then I noticed the red outline with the drivers side door slightly open. I slammed the door and all was well. What a PITA system. Do they think we’re all that inept. I have a 2012 Ram with the shift lever where it should be and love it. If I want to open the door and drive off I can.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While on a fishing trip last week in Maine , I borrowed my buddies truck to go to a favorite spot up river fo a few hrs. When I went to go back ,the truck started up fine but it wouldn’t go into reverse. The damm knob turned but it stayed in neutral. it kept giving the error mess.(truck must be in park before going into gear). After trying it a few times I figured I had screwed up my buddies new Ram. Then I noticed the red outline with the drivers side door slightly open. I slammed the door and all was well.

What a PITA system. Do they think we’re all that inept.

I have a 2012 Ram with the shift lever where it should be and love it. If I want to open the door and drive off I can.

Well no, but they do know inept people exist. Lol. All this is, is just a lawsuit preventer to protect the manufacturer from getting sued. You know, like McDonald’s, the old lady and the evil cup of hot coffee?

I’m not gonna do a Google search for people who have um...[emoji5] fallen out of their vehicle while backing it with the door open and either crashed or ran over themselves or a bystander but this is the same kind of annoying fail-safe as that damn reverse lock-out system on my new Cub Cadet riding lawn mower.

Just think tho... if that sexy 67 Belvedere in Tommy Boy woulda had that auto park stuff, he wouldn’t of folded the door back on that magnificent work of art at the gas station...

I know, I know... it was part of the movie. lol. Just sayin. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've been backing my 48' flatbed for years only using mirrors, I back my 53' box trailer with only the mirrors as well.

I stand by my statement that anyone that has to open the door to back up a pickup with or without a trailer is an idiot.

As someone who does their own maintenance sometimes you want to move your vehicle while the door is open as in making sure you're lined on correctly on a ramp whether backing up on a ramp or going forward so in my opinion anyone questioning that procedure is an idiot!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait a gosh darned minute a bunch of you people ***** about the dial shifter and how you are always Turing the radio down instead of putting it in park or are putting in in park on the highway and killing yourself (because there are no safety features in that stupid dial....sarcasm lol)when you want to turn the radio down...

LOL! That would be me :D I'm beginning to think I'll never get used to that round shifter knob. There are just too many round knobs (shifter, radio, AC) placed too close together for my feeble brain to keep them apart. I scare the heck out of myself sometimes when I intend to put the truck in Drive but crank up the radio instead. :( Or go to put the truck in Park and turn down the AC instead. :(

Here is a real-life, true-story example of when "auto park" might(?) have come in handy: Many years ago, my brother-in-law drove a big 4x4 Chevy pickup. One day him, his wife, and his 12-year-old son were headed out somewhere. Brother-in-law noticed the newspaper at the end of the driveway. He pulled up along side, unlatched his seat belt, opened the driver-side door, and leaned out to grab the newspaper. His fat ass fell out of the truck! :p (still makes me LMAO when I think about that). The driverless truck then rolled across the road and into a creek, with his stunned family still inside! Thankfully, no one was hurt, only his pride.

Reactions: JB1

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get the message on my 17 but that is it. I can still move the vehicle.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Next thing will be it will put it in park if someone unbuckels their seat belt. I don't know how we survived before big brother started looking after us.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a real-life, true-story example of when "auto park" might(?) have come in handy: Many years ago, my brother-in-law drove a big 4x4 Chevy pickup. One day him, his wife, and his 12-year-old son were headed out somewhere. Brother-in-law noticed the newspaper at the end of the driveway. He pulled up along side, unlatched his seat belt, opened the driver-side door, and leaned out to grab the newspaper. His fat ass fell out of the truck! :p (still makes me LMAO when I think about that). The driverless truck then rolled across the road and into a creek, with his stunned family still inside! Thankfully, no one was hurt, only his pride.
Awesome story!

i have nightmares like that! Stuck in the backseat or fell out or whatever as the car careens away without me.

monsterwalley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I just found out about the autopark feature. Hate it. absolutely hate it. I've only had my truck a week too. I was throwing hay on my trailer and stepped in with half a cheek on the seat to
pull up a few feet to grab more bales and just about busted my nose on the door pillar when it shoved itself in park. Took me a bit to figure out. Made the rest of my evening a pain in the ass to get completely in the truck and shut the door to pull up 20' at a time the rest of the evening. Protect us they say. All this stuff does is make us more complacent.

Kanab Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
If for whatever reason you want/need to drive it with the door open, just close the latch on the door. Just remember to pull the handle before actually closing the door.

Thanks! There ARE use cases for needing to open the door while backing up (slowly) - primarily backing up trailers and off road.

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anton Yelchin and his family probably wish his Grand Cherokee had auto park! Unfortunately manufacturers have to engineer to the least intelligent/most likely to sue factor. We are becoming a society of idiots with no social skills and massive carpal tunnel from playing games and texting all the time. Manufacturers do things like this to protect themselves from US! lol

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Just got my notice in the mail. Does anyone know how this works with an unlocked pcm? I would of course put the stock pcm back in when going to the dealer for the flash, but wondering when I switch back out to the unlocked pcm if the changes would remain. Not really concerned about the autopark feature, but would really like to get the software update for my 32 gallon tank as it reads incorrectly when low.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your PCM is a computer an update on one computer will not carry forward to another totally different computer, so it definitely would not.

FCA Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your PCM is a computer an update on one computer will not carry forward to another totally different computer, so it definitely would not.

The auto park feature is a combination of software upgrades in 4 modules, negating one WILL affect this feature.

FCA Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know if this will work, but if you prevent the truck from knowing you opened the door it won't autopark. I haven't looked closely to see if my 18 RAM uses the same old time push switches that have been around forever, but it wouldn't be that difficult to either keep that switch open or closed (depending on what the closed door position is) all the time or with another switch. Then it wouldn't autopark if you open the door. But it may impact other things so try this at your own risk!

Just FYI, the parking brake circuit is a simple off/on switch to ground...a toggle switch that can open the circuit (parking brake engaged) would keep autopark from functioning.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are WAY overthinking how to disable this feature. One of the requirements for auto park to activate is that the seatbelt has to be unbuckled. Just buy a seatbelt pass through adapter, leave it plugged in, and be done with it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B...t+extender&dpPl=1&dpID=41OGi3NL07L&ref=plSrch

I have no idea if it’s even mentioned in the manual or not about it but I feel you might be on to something with that. Unless someone already knows otherwise by having already tried it, that would make perfect sense about keeping the autopark from activating if the truck knew your seatbelt was connected.

I like that idea about the seatbelt extender, tho. I looked into those little metal seatbelt chime shutter-upperer things but didn’t like the idea of having to remove that before you can hook your seatbelt. May have to look around more for ones like what you linked because even though it only had three reviews, one person said their seatbelt wouldn’t latch in it and another said there’s wouldn’t even fit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Burnstork

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks for the helpful link! I just ordered it. I have a 2018 Ram 1500 and have had many instances of needing my door open while moving. I'm really looking forward to solving this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk