Discount Tire Messed Up Big Time???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Long story short after talking to AEV the other day about their Katla wheel, they assured me a 17x8.5 in 8x6.5 with +27mm offset would fit a STOCK 2015 2500... Anyone know if this is true? If so then Discount Tire fu***d up big time when they refused to sell me, or order a 17" wheel, during a special deal they were running. I even showed them a 2015 2500 was being sold stock with a 17" wheel and they said no aftermarket 17" COULD take the weight of the truck.

If someone can help me with this I'll be going to Discount Tire Corporate which is in my state and raising hell until this is made right!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They probably do it because of liability reasons. They figure loosing your business is cheaper than a lawsuit. You can call their corporate but itll will probably go nowhere. They're going to say it's not safe, therefor we won't sell or mount.

Same reason why the dealer wouldn't lower the tpms threshold. They said manufactor sets it at 80 for a reason. It's not safe, liability.

Everyone's covering their ass now a days.

As far as the wheels, yesh, its stupid I know, even the powerwagon comes with 17s.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not really sure you have to "raise hell about." A business refused a service. That is their right even if they are wrong about why it's still their right.

I've run into a lot of tire shops that just don't want to deviate away from what their system tells them will fit on a vehicle. There is little upside and a HUGE downside for them if/when they get something wrong.

Like most things these days, we can probably thank the lawyers. It's just not worth the risk unless they are 1000% sure something will fit and work.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Such BS! If the manufacturer says a 17" wheel is safe then its safe. If they put a 17" wheel on a Power Wagon and sell it to the public that means it's safe. Not sure where Discount has a leg to stand on in the safety department when RAM manufactured the vehicle and said a 17" wheel is safe and will work.

I get the right to refuse service and the TPMS threshold. But the TPMS threshold is set by FCA, not RAM. So RAM and the dealerships can't argue that very well.

I'll still contact corporate to see what can be done about this... If it turns out nothing then I'll eat the cost and the next time. I get tires I'll make sure to have the rims pre purchased if that's what's necessary. Just ****** me off in the end to be out the money... And yeah, I get it that's its 1", but that 1" difference made me have to change the brand and style of wheel I wanted...

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Such BS! If the manufacturer says a 17" wheel is safe then its safe. If they put a 17" wheel on a Power Wagon and sell it to the public that means it's safe. Not sure where Discount has a leg to stand on in the safety department when RAM manufactured the vehicle and said a 17" wheel is safe and will work.

I get the right to refuse service and the TPMS threshold. But the TPMS threshold is set by FCA, not RAM. So RAM and the dealerships can't argue that very well.

I'll still contact corporate to see what can be done about this... If it turns out nothing then I'll eat the cost and the next time. I get tires I'll make sure to have the rims pre purchased if that's what's necessary. Just ****** me off in the end to be out the money... And yeah, I get it that's its 1", but that 1" difference made me have to change the brand and style of wheel I wanted...

They didn't say "no 17" wheel is safe. They said "no 17" aftermarket wheel". No way they can know that, but their lawyers make the rules.

Always bring enough gun.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Have you ever heard, "I'll take my business elsewhere." If it's DT's policy, go somewhere else.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The AEV wheels do fit a stock truck with 35's, I put Saltas on factory suspension. No rub anywhere. But that doesn't mean all 17 inch wheels will fit perfectly. Unless the wheel DT had was the same exact specs.

It is not surprising to me that DT did that. They deal with the masses who have no idea what an offset even is. They care about following their business guidelines. I have seen some real idiots at tire stores. Last time I was at a tire store like that some guy wanted to put 35's and 18 or 19 inch wheels on some Chevy that would NEVER have safely fit them. They had to refuse him. And a lot of places will second guess you about putting 17's or over sized tires on heavy duty trucks, even if you yourself know the specs of everything you are putting on is safe. Just the way it is.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t go overboard with this just take your money somewhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i just recently purchased methods and 35 toyos from Discount. im not sure what troubles you ran into, but i assure you, they sell 17s for 2500s.

maybe you were getting a crazy sale deal on that specific setup, and they didnt want to hold up their end of the bargain.

either way... find another seller and get those AEVs

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OOOOOORRRRR.... but the f'n wheels and tires you want, have them mounted, etc , (even at Discount Tire) and install them on your truck yourself.

You can't fight stupid.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Look, I get where some of you guys are coming from. And there are good suggestions in here.

Was I a little more heated when I made the post than I should have been? Probably. I'll own that.

But who wouldn't be upset when they drop money on something like that and find out they could have gotten what they wanted if someone had just looked up specs or made a call to the manufacturer of the wheel...

Yeah, I could just buy the wheels and tires I want and have them put on the truck, but that's not the point. And I'd be out even more money having an extra set of wheels and tires I have no use for and I'd have to try and sell.

And there's a guy in the thread saying discount sold him 17s for his HD. So, now I've got an employee that I dealt with who said no, and to be exact he said "no aftermarket 17" wheel can handle the load rating and weight of the truck" and a guy who DT sold him 17s for his truck. So if it's policy to not sell 17s for an HD then policy is across the board and goes for all stores. An employee doesn't get to pick and choose which policy to follow. If something is unsafe for one person then it's unsafe for all ppl across the board also.

So yes, I am upset over this. Again, was I more heated than I should have been? Yeah, probably. Forgive me. I don't like spending money to turn around and find out what I wanted was possible, and perfectly safe, from the get go.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What is that wheel load rated at? It may not be up to the spec for the truck's carrying capacity.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What is that wheel load rated at? It may not be up to the spec for the truck's carrying capacity.
3,360 lbs tested with 40" tires

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I wouldn't let discount tire touch another vehicle of mine. When I had my f150 I had them out a set of tires on it and instead of lifting by the frame they lifted by the step rails, I was pissed. It amazes me that the step rails were even strong enough to support that weight.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk