Discount Tire Messed Up Big Time???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Here's another update...

All of the people telling me don't bother, "is this really the hill you wanna die on", etc. Thank you for your input, but I like to give companies the chance to correct a problem.

Discount Tire did just that. I just left the store and the Manager has credited me back my entire previous purchase and put it towards 4 Katla's and 4 Toyo MTs. So I'm only paying the difference in price across the wheels and tires. Which is way more than I ever expected them to do. They have definitely retained my business.

The Manager also informed me the employee I dealt with was let go from the company for doing this exact thing to several other people in attempts to get sales. So, I'm not the only one. And it wasn't just Ram 2500 either. It was several different vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here's another update...

All of the people telling me don't bother, "is this really the hill you wanna die on", etc. Thank you for your input, but I like to give companies the chance to correct a problem.

Discount Tire did just that. I just left the store and the Manager has credited me back my entire previous purchase and put it towards 4 Katla's and 4 Toyo MTs. So I'm only paying the difference in price across the wheels and tires. Which is way more than I ever expected them to do. They have definitely retained my business.

The Manager also informed me the employee I dealt with was let go from the company for doing this exact thing to several other people in attempts to get sales. So, I'm not the only one. And it wasn't just Ram 2500 either. It was several different vehicles.

You probably should have given us the long story instead of the short story in your first post, unless I’m missing something about your “previous purchase”. I think we were all under the impression that you got some Katlas, wanted discount to mount them on your truck with some of their tires, they refused, so move on to the next shop.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You probably should have given us the long story instead of the short story in your first post, unless I’m missing something about your “previous purchase”. I think we were all under the impression that you got some Katlas, wanted discount to mount them on your truck with some of their tires, they refused, so move on to the next shop.
Sorry, I believe somewhere in here I mentioned wheels and tires were purchased. If not, that's my bad. I thought I had put it in my OP but on reviewing I see I didn't. My fault there entirely.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Glad you got it worked out, though!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You should have bought the rims and tires and carried out mounted and balanced. Then they are not on the hook.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
You should have bought the rims and tires and carried out mounted and balanced. Then they are not on the hook.
I most alway's buy tires online with free shipping, from various vender's, Tire crawler/ tires easy/ simple tire, etc. Way cheaper. Never buy warranty's, and have a local mechanic/ shop who mounts and balances for $10 a tire. Had a set of cooper at3's 275/18, delivered for $738, + $40. I try not to buy at big name tire shops, unless on a trip. I think I'm way ahead $ wise. Had a blowout on my boat trailer, out of town, paid $94 for one, plus $20 mounting etc,. Week later bought same 3 tires online for $175, to my door, $30 mount/ balance.

yourfloormat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 TRX4
Engine
I can see their system saying not to do it due to weight of the truck etc. I always pay a fortune for tires on my car for same reason. No dealer will install any tire on it that is not at minimum at least Z rated. Its not like I cruise around at over 100mph, but because of the kind of car and all no one will do it.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I had a buddy who took his car into a local shop here to get a leak fixed and his TPM in that tire wasn't working. They wouldn't mount the tire unless he bought another working one. Kinda held it hostage. It pissed him off, but they wouldn't do it so he paid their exorbitant price.... They lost about 10 people's biz after we heard that story.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Such BS! If the manufacturer says a 17" wheel is safe then its safe. If they put a 17" wheel on a Power Wagon and sell it to the public that means it's safe. Not sure where Discount has a leg to stand on in the safety department when RAM manufactured the vehicle and said a 17" wheel is safe and will work.

I get the right to refuse service and the TPMS threshold. But the TPMS threshold is set by FCA, not RAM. So RAM and the dealerships can't argue that very well.

I'll still contact corporate to see what can be done about this... If it turns out nothing then I'll eat the cost and the next time. I get tires I'll make sure to have the rims pre purchased if that's what's necessary. Just ****** me off in the end to be out the money... And yeah, I get it that's its 1", but that 1" difference made me have to change the brand and style of wheel I wanted...

Not all wheels are created equal bud. I wouldn't feel comfortable with certain brands of wheels on my truck, cars, or bikes. I've seen too many aftermarket wheels fail on track. OEM wheels are made to a different standard.