DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, when I order the part: Black back cover 1YH75DX9AC, I will not need to cut anything.

Yet another question. My truck has the Uconnect and cruise control buttons already, I believe you said you didn't have to take your truck back to the dealer to get it flashed to get the audio controls to work right??

Just asking, found this article, http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=176888, and the guy said he had to take his truck in to get a code flashed to his truck in order for the audio controls to work.

Again, thank you for your help. Just trying to cover all my bases.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok, when I order the part: Black back cover 1YH75DX9AC, I will not need to cut anything.

Yet another question. My truck has the Uconnect and cruise control buttons already, I believe you said you didn't have to take your truck back to the dealer to get it flashed to get the audio controls to work right??

Just asking, found this article, http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=176888, and the guy said he had to take his truck in to get a code flashed to his truck in order for the audio controls to work.

Again, thank you for your help. Just trying to cover all my bases.

He's got a 2012 which is why it needs flashed. The 13-14 won't need flashed.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, I just placed the order with ALLMOPARPARTS.com, just before getting your message. Everything is ordered. Wish me luck. Thanks for your help!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The parts I ordered for my Tradesman trim truck with U-connect 5.0 and 8 speed transmission are.

Left switch 56046099AD
Right switch 56046098AD
Wheel harness 68163713AB
Black back cover 1YH75DX9AC
@cgeorgemo,
Any thoughts about contacting AllMoparParts and seeing if they want to offer the 4 items as a complete kit to link in your OP?

I bet they would based on the interest here.

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@cgeorgemo,
Any thoughts about contacting AllMoparParts and seeing if they want to offer the 4 items as a complete kit to link in your OP?

I'll shoot Benny a PM and mention it to him.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I placed my order with them, I asked about a discount for being a forum member on here, since I see where they have their own little place on the forum. Didn't get any reply. I know being on the Autogeek forum, certain places give you discounts for being a forum member.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
When I placed my order with them, I asked about a discount for being a forum member on here, since I see where they have their own little place on the forum. Didn't get any reply. I know being on the Autogeek forum, certain places give you discounts for being a forum member.
They sometimes do other things for members besides a blanket discount on orders.
I find the service from Benny to be great and they are very easy to deal with when you have to call about an order.
Plus that little spot on the forum wasn't free.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They seem like good people/business, all the items I ordered shipped the day after I ordered them. Double thumbs up!

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@cgeorgemo,

Benny said they will be putting together a kit and I will edit the original post once I hear back from him.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the update. I will be putting the kit PN on my 'wish' list for Christmas once it's easier for my wife to handle.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, all parts came today. Plan on doing this next Monday/Tuesday, the next days I have off.

Benny shipped Jimmy John's FAST :waytogo:

Have some questions just to make sure I don't screw anything up.

1. I attached a photo of the wiring, any advice on which connector goes where, or will it be pretty self evident once I get the airbag off?

2. I have never taken an airbag off, let alone the steering wheel off a newer vehicle, newer than 80's. I am a little nervous about that. You definitely recommend a steering wheel puller?? Just asking because saw where the one guy said he just wiggled it off.

3. Any other advice from others who have done this??

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 168
OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok, all parts came today. Plan on doing this next Monday/Tuesday, the next days I have off.

Benny shipped Jimmy John's FAST :waytogo:

Have some questions just to make sure I don't screw anything up.

1. I attached a photo of the wiring, any advice on which connector goes where, or will it be pretty self evident once I get the airbag off?

2. I have never taken an airbag off, let alone the steering wheel off a newer vehicle, newer than 80's. I am a little nervous about that. You definitely recommend a steering wheel puller?? Just asking because saw where the one guy said he just wiggled it off.

3. Any other advice from others who have done this??

1. It will be self evident. They can only go one place for each wire.

2. Yes I recommend a puller. I'm 6'5" and I weigh 225. I couldn't budge it.

3. Take your time.

Ram3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Sport CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so I can update my radio for my 2012 sport ?

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
so I can update my radio for my 2012 sport ?
You can add the controls but you will need to have a dealership service center flash your BCM. Because you have a 2012.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another question. After putting the steering wheel back on what are the torque specs for the nut for the steering wheel, or do I just use the good en tight method??
Thanks