DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought about leather steering wheel upgrade but I want it to match my truck and I can't find a black one. So I'm leaving it for now. My steering wheel controls are due in Thursday. Did you use s steering wheel puller ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I thought about leather steering wheel upgrade but I want it to match my truck and I can't find a black one. So I'm leaving it for now. My steering wheel controls are due in Thursday. Did you use s steering wheel puller ?

Yep I did. They are around $10

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did but not the right one, it all worked all out in the end.... I got my black wheel for $200 on ebay.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've never used one before can you guys tell me if this one will work ? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416369686.631240.jpg

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not sure about that puller. I used a gear puller and put the arms in the square holes in the steering wheel. Can you get the bolts through the holes and put nuts and washers on them? If so that should work.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure about that puller. I used a gear puller and put the arms in the square holes in the steering wheel. Can you get the bolts through the holes and put nuts and washers on them? If so that should work.

Where did you source yours from? I purchased this one at my local auto zone. There are no nuts included in the kit. Just two washers, puller screws in 3 different sizes, the puller itself and the puller nut.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My evening job is at Sears it is a set I got there.. I bought the gear puller years ago to pull a harmonic balancer. The arms fit in the holes so I used it.

Sent from Skynet terminal 142a5

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gotcha. I looked it up and it came with gm ford and Chrysler screws so it should work. If it doesn't ill just return it

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im attempting this right now is this what you're talking about ? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416518980.625759.jpg those tiny black plastic pieces ? I feel like I'm going to break something..

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, those are the airbag clip. I just applied quite a bit of strong controlled pressure to get mine off.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, those are the airbag clip. I just applied quite a bit of strong controlled pressure to get mine off.

It's scary I feel like I'm going to break something inside the steering wheel or slip and scratch the hell out of my instrument panel haha

Also for the third one at 6 o'clock how did you go about getting to it ? If we don't need to remove the lower part of the steering wheel plastic. Is it easier when you get the first two done ?

Last edited:

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it made my ******** pucker too! I just used my finger tips to find the lip of each clip and used it to guide the flat head of the screwdriver in and apply the pressure.

For the 6 o'clock clip, you just have to turn the steering wheel so you can have access to it, I think I got it to the 10 or 11 o'clock position.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is kicking my ass I cannot get the airbag off

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you trying to rotate the steering wheel to where each clip opening is about at the 12 o'clock position for best access?

Just asking, to me this wasn't that bad, but I know I had to apply a lot of pressure to get them clips off.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you trying to rotate the steering wheel to where each clip opening is about at the 12 o'clock position for best access?

Just asking, to me this wasn't that bad, but I know I had to apply a lot of pressure to get them clips off.

Yes I am moving the wheel to 12 o clock so you slide the flat head under those clips and pull the cover toward yourself ? I did one side and went to the other and heard the side I just did snap back into place

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that would be frustrating. Make sure you get those clips all the way off the posts.

Take a break if getting frustrated.

I know my biggest fear was having the air bag go off. even though I disconnected the negative battery terminal. I used about a 6" flat head screw driver. One hand on the handle, then searched for the clip with the other. Then when I found it, I positioned the screwdriver. I leaned on the steering wheel, then placed my other hand on the shaft of the screwdriver and applied the pressure. I really wasn't feeling it move, then all of a sudden, it, the clip just popped off.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, that would be frustrating. Make sure you get those clips all the way off the posts.

Take a break if getting frustrated.

I know my biggest fear was having the air bag go off. even though I disconnected the negative battery terminal. I used about a 6" flat head screw driver. One hand on the handle, then searched for the clip with the other. Then when I found it, I positioned the screwdriver. I leaned on the steering wheel, then placed my other hand on the shaft of the screwdriver and applied the pressure. I really wasn't feeling it move, then all of a sudden, it, the clip just popped off.

Thank you for replying so quickly this is helping me finish this before I have to leave. Trying to finish this so I actually have a stereo in my truck !
So to confirm once you get those three clips off the metal the airbag should just pop right off ? Do you have to pull it towards you ?

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, the air bag will just come off and just disconnect the 2 connectors behind it.

I'm at work and bored anyway.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow. That was was more difficult than I ever imagined. Got that damn airbag off. I was prying at the wrong thing before lol I was prying at those plastic clips not the metal clips behind them

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that would make it more difficult. Lol

After you remove the steering wheel, try not to move that white circular thing behind the wheel, that is the clock spring.

I'm not talking down to you if you know that, but I am no mechanic and I didn't know WTF it was, so I had to look it up.

cgeorgemo really helped me and was patient with my questions, just trying to help others too.