DIY 2nd battery mount for accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streetdoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's something I've had in the works that I finally got finished this afternoon. I do a lot of camping in the back of my truck and I wanted to rig up a 2nd battery that runs accessories in the bed. What I bought:

Optima Yellow Top
Summit Racing universal battery tray
Yandina Combiner 160
12v Oscillating fan
LED light strips
Heat shielding
Blue Sea fused distribution block

I mounted the battery to a cross brace for the bed using existing holes. I wrapped the tray and exhaust in heat shielding, best I can tell (sitting in traffic in 99F day here in Colorado) the battery will stay plenty cool. I mounted a yandina battery combiner under the hood that will charge the 2nd battery when the vehicle is running. I ran the main power wire for the 2nd battery through the frame with some conduit I found at lowes. I already had a sleeping platform assembled, so I built a little panel on one side to mount all the switches to. As you can see the only thing I have hooked up right now are the LEDs. I'm planning on mounting some more lights, an oscillating fan, a charger for a streamlight vulcan hand lantern, and an inverter to run a laptop/music.

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks awesome! Very cool DIY project.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very well thought out.
Do you use a foamy (tenting) mattress for cushioning on top of the platform?

Divi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sweet, i was looking for some ideas on a second battery setup. im planning to put a few outlets in the bed to run tools from though, Tents are for camping IMO.