DIY - add Auxiliary switches to a 2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello I almost have the same setup as you. I just dont have the parking sensors.

Your walkthrough was great. I just need help with wiring the aux switches itself. I ordered the pins. I need to know what wires go where in the switch.
I want to keep the same harness that is on my old switch.
I want to use the new pins I have to go from new switch to the relay box.
I ordered switch 68231819AD.

Thank

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
I have the long male spade connectors for under the hood if anyone needs them...Won't cost you anything...I mail out sets of 5 to your address...

20210209_165639.jpg

Ram truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just received the switch.
Can anyone help on what pins go to the aux switches and what pins go on the towl/haul, and traction buttons.

I attached photos if the switch.

Thank you

20210331_165308.jpg

20210331_165302.jpg

20210331_165248.jpg

20210331_165241.jpg

kegger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
All I did was compair my old panel to the new one. And just added the pins to the open spots as needed.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
For those that may not know
AUX #1 and #2 are powered by the battery,

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There are several Youtube videos on how to setup the Aux. switch panel

4th Gen Electronics is mentioned, but they may have had more orders than they can handle

This guy shows how to switch out the blank buttons with marked buttons & other handy tips

The video that runs right after the first video goes into better detail & he shows how the OBDLink sets up the switch panel

Last edited:

Mark Moore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Does anyone know where I can purchase the correct connectors to make my own wire harness to go from my aux switch panel to the relay/fuse box? Or is there a video out there that explains how to do it? I’ve tried to contact 4th gen electronics by email and phone to see about ordering there kit but I haven’t had any luck which from my understanding they are swamped anyhow.. thanks in advance for any help on this.. I’m amazed at the knowledge on this specific topic and I hope someone can lead me in the right direction

LarryZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just bought my 2015 Big Horn. I absolutely want to do this.
Questions:
*Are the actual switches removable?
*Can the switches be moved to different positions?
*I'd like to move all the current switches to the top row and make the bottom row all "Aux".
* Are the unused positions "dead-ended" in the harness?

20210415_095329.jpg

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I just bought my 2015 Big Horn. I absolutely want to do this.
Questions:
*Are the actual switches removable?
*Can the switches be moved to different positions?
*I'd like to move all the current switches to the top row and make the bottom row all "Aux".
* Are the unused positions "dead-ended" in the harness?

View attachment 244719

1. After watching one of the videos posted above, yeah the switches are removable with a little work

2 & 3. From the same video, it looks like it they can be moved around a little. However the top row and bottom row have different shapes to them so they may not be able to swap with each other. Also the ones on the end that curve around probably wouldn’t swap either. Also you’ll have to do some wiring to make sure the buttons you change the positions of match up with the wiring

4. It also looked like from the video that every button (including the unused boxes) have the circuitry behind it, so I would imagine those circuits have to output somewhere

Thank you to the guy who posted those videos earlier. It looks to me like the only difference in part numbers between all these switch banks is the faceplate and buttons—all the electrical appear to be there no matter the part number. Since these switches are so easy to take apart and swap buttons, I doubt it would be too hard to make some custom buttons with some fab work

Have one of you guys taken apart your old switch bank without the aux buttons? Im kinda wondering if the circuitry is behind those as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I recall one youtube video, where the guy changes around the buttons

You all do know that you can install the aux switches, but afterwards you have to activate it, either by going to the dealership or using a capable scan tool or programmer

Once it is activated you can use the radio to set the functions

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I recall one youtube video, where the guy changes around the buttons

You all do know that you can install the aux switches, but afterwards you have to activate it, either by going to the dealership or using a capable scan tool or programmer

Once it is activated you can use the radio to set the functions

You’re 100% right on a typical OEM swap, but my rig is about 7 years to old for that lol

I’m looking to put a 2013 switch bank in my ‘06. Since 2013s were hard-wired and didn’t have the LIN-bus junk, the hardest thing will be grafting it into place. Since everything is completely not-OEM anyways I’ll have a lot of freedom with the top row of buttons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was just referring to changing the buttons around on the auxiliary switch itself
I was not referring to the connections on the back of the switch

Mark Moore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
So when I cut my wires behind the switch bank do I connect my new wire to the side coming from the switch bank or the side running to the switch bank? Or do I connect to both