DIY CAI and Ram air ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I decided to make my own CAI and ram air design. The intake is made from 3" and 4" PVC. 1 90° 3" elbow, 2 3" to 4" expansions/reducers, 3" and 4" PVC. I Cut the stock intake hose right after the first bend by the throttle body, and went to 3" PVC. Then I used the reducers to open it up to 4" for about 6", and them back down to 3" to connect to a 90° from the 90° I used 3" pipe to the air filter. This is for the CAI. It's a very crude write up but I'm gonna edit tomorrow and give better instructions for the intake and ram air design. It's all prefab right now until I can finalize lol. Here's a few pics

image.jpg

Rusty2872

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wow. Looks good so far. You got the part number for that filter??

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what's the point in opening it up to 4" for a bit the back down to 3"? It seems it'd be simpler just to go 3" all the way. That's what I did.

yta4e5an.jpg

OP
OP
WhiteBighorn12
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My theory is that wen I stomp it, there's a but of extra air already right there beside the throttle body. Since it has less distance to travel, you get more air in the motor quicker, that would make more power. Like I said though, it's all in theory lol :D
And I will get you the # for that filter before lunch Rusty

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whitebighorn- what you have there is a W(arm)AI, not a CAI. From a stop, especially in warm weather, the engine will ingest warm air from the engine compartment. Because warm air molecules are larger and therefore less dense, you'll get less of them into the TB/Intake, thus making less power.
If you could find a way to isolate the filter from the engine compartment it could be considered a CAI.
Experimenting with the full 3" and 3"-4"-3" section between the filter and TB would be an interesting read, all else being equal, to find any benefits.

mudjunky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
they used that concept on old civic intake it actualy works like a charge pipe kind like the vortex box on the 5.7 vortex in the chev just to prove how well those work I dragged a tree with the box installed on my suburban I removed the box and truck could barely hall the same tree

I should in theory help in bottom end torq id almost wanna try it out with something like and 5 inch chamber

12hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That 4" section may help you a little bit on the initial pull but in the long run it could slow down the intake because of that same vortex created in the tube. its going to swirl in the larger opening making it harder for the engine to intake the air. Awesome for hauling or pulling out trees. But the top end may suffer. I would suggest (if it were possible) getting the chamber a little closer to the TB.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You forgot to add the Throttle body spacer ! Thats how you unlock the true power of a CAI....

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like the idea, but seems like it'd be suck'n nothing but hot air from there?