DIY: Key on Accessory Chime Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We've all been there. You're wantin to clean your truck with the key on accessory so you can listen to the radio, BUT that darn chime just won't SHUT UP when the door is open!

Well... Here is the answer to your problems! :D

Tools Needed:

Cutting utensil (scissors, wire cutters, etc)
Phillips Screw Driver
Flat head screwdriver
10mm socket w/ extension
Electrical Tape
15 minutes to do this

1). Now proceed to remove the drivers side door panel. This involves removing the screw at the upper right where you would normally put a tweeter at, then removing two screws on the bottom side of the panel, and finally removing the door handle which requires pulling up on the handle, locating the 10mm bolt, and then unscrew it outta there. The door handle should come right off.
CIMG2303.jpg
CIMG2300.jpg

2.) Then, get a flat head screw driver and carefully pry up your window switch panel. It will pop right out. Undo the wiring harnesses and set the panel to the side for now.

3.). After all the screws are out, lift straight up on the panel (watch out for the door lock knob and move it out of the way if you need to). It should come right up with no problem at all. Once you got it off, set it to the side.

4.) You'll be looking at a mass of white plastic overlapping the inside of the door. I used a razor knife and just cut a small slit in the plastic right where the wires are at. You'll see the trail of 4 wires going to your door latch assembly. The wire you are lookin for is in that group.

CIMG2278.jpg

5.) You will need to find the black wire with a purple stripe on it. That is the culprit!!! Simply cut that wire and use some electrical tape on both ends of the open wire.

CIMG2277.jpg
CIMG2279.jpg

6.) Wait! Don't put that panel back on yet. Go find your keys and, while keeping the door open, turn the key on accessory with the door open and enjoy the sounds of silence!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!

7.) Re-install the door panel in reverse order and you are DONE with that annoying chime!

Just to clarify for everyone, this ONLY removes the chimes for the "door ajar" while the drivers side door is open and also the "key-in-ingintion" for when the drivers side door is open. It will also remove the "door ajar" light/icon on the instrument cluster when ONLY the DRIVERS SIDE door is open. The chimes and icon/light will still operate on the other doors unless you cut those wires too.

Enjoy your music while detailing the truck, and getting locked out because you didn't hear the chime warning you that you really should get a few spares made. LOL Enjoy yall :D

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Well done..

Jcasey10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
That's awesome. I'm gonna have to go rip my door open and get to that bad boy.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my doors won't lock if the key is in the ignition. does this disable that feature too? don't wanna lose that but getting ride of the chime would be nice

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Yall!

I'm not sure about that tyler... I can check and see what mine does... are you talkin about when the truck's off or what?

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
hmm im not sure if mine ever did that or not, but I just went out there and tried it and mine still locks when the keys are in the ignition, on accessory and ignition turned on...

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm, might be something I try to play with when I go on vacation next week. I will report back when I find out

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
post deleted

Last edited:

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I will do this however I will expand the the silence with some covenience. I plan on using a small toggle switch to allow it to chime when needed. I;ll post a simple pick when done, here. If it's ok. Prolly be on monday, Tuesday the latest.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Update, this was a breeze. I had a spare toggle, (came with the truck). So I put it to good use. Two things however. My wire was all purple, ( I guessed right lol). Second, the chime was off for the passenger door as well :) .
Thanks Hemibabe, this was one of those mods, that nobody notices but makes a big difference when your doing your thing. ie; cleaning waxing , and escpecially chilling and listening to tunes. I also upgraded too a aux jack radio, The stock 6 disc cd was good but we live in a i-pod world!! lol.
Here are the pix, first the radio, then the install.
6276852449_ff9b78aa42_z.jpg
6277373280_7584a24f86_z.jpg
6276851807_6c1b0ae12a_z.jpg
6277373822_32ddacf4c6_z.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Cool! I like mine bein off permanently tho hahaa

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Mine not only shut off the chime, and the door ajar lamp. but it also killed the inside cab light, which is door activated, then fades after awhile. So with the door open and the circuit open, I hit the switch, The interior light would imediateiy dim. I dunno, My way leaves options I guess. too each, there own.:********:

Last edited: