DIY - Overhead Console Upgrade W/Sunglass Holder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
So I just wrapped up an retrofit install in Blue and thought others with an Express might be interested in doing the same.

Ill do a write up below, but for a quick 2 hour project i feel it was a great upgrade to having nothing at all. I did not want to use the stock ram option because it does not have sunglass holders, and IMHO im not a fan of the look of the stock RAM overhead.

I decided to go for an overhead out of a 2014 Ford-150. The size was similar to that of the RAM and it had 2 sunglass holders built in.

Here is the finished product. If you have any questions please feel free. Total cost of project was less than $100.
Final look .jpg

OP
OP
15bigblue

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
Step One: I first had to measure the stock location to make the template

Step 2: Using a T-Square I marked out 2 boxes, one that indicates the size of the Overhead location and One that indicates the size of the Console.

Pre-planning with size.jpg

Step 3: Cut out the inner box, then test fit the console. I wanted to make sure there was a snug fit so that we did not trim too much and end up with a gap in the headliner.

Cut the template out.jpg

Test Fit

Test Fit.jpg

txdrifter1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks pretty darn good. Which mounting bracket did you use ?
I'm with you, not a fan of the Ram overhead console without someplace for sunglasses.

OP
OP
15bigblue

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
Step 5: Check for clearance. I had to adjust for the springs and gears that poke out just a touch wider. I made the adjustments quickly and moved on. (Sorry no good Photo's)

Back view, check for rubs.jpg

Step 6: Cut out the template and your off to prepare your headliner. I went ahead and taped the template to the headliner.

Tape template in place.jpg

OP
OP
15bigblue

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
Looks pretty darn good. Which mounting bracket did you use ?
I'm with you, not a fan of the Ram overhead console without someplace for sunglasses.

Everything was out of a 2014 Ford f-150, Wiring was super easy, the hard part was bringing myself to cut into the headliner.

OP
OP
15bigblue

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
Step 7: Its time to cut into the headliner. I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel, made quick and clean cuts. Keep the dremel handy as you will need it in the next step.

After cutting with the dremel tool.jpg

Step 8: Remove the cut out, I ran a my pocket knife down the fresh cuts to make sure there was no stragglers that would cause it to snag.

Step 9: Using an allen Key and a 5/16 Socket remove both the Passenger side and Drivers side sun visors.
Remove Sun visor 5:16.jpg Remove using allen key.jpg

OP
OP
15bigblue

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
Step 10: Carefully pull your headliner down towards the dash and slide the interior bracket into place.
Pull down headliner and slide backing plate into place.jpg

Step 11: Using the reverse of step 9, Reinstall the Visors.

Step 12: Using the bracket as a guide, Carefully use a Dremel with a grinding stone to remove the foam material.
Use a dremel grinding bit to remove foam material from groove.jpg

Step 13: Remove the center light by carefully prying down the "Glass" cover, then pulling down from the "Hinge" side.

Remove the light, And run a wire from the light to the front.jpeg

Step 14: using a coat hanger or wire running tape Run 2 Wires from the Dome light to the Overhead console. Please note wires should come though the front of the bracket (learned this the hard way) Note (You will need two wires (Ground/Hot) If you dont have two different color wires please be sure to mark one so they don't get switched.

Wire pulled through .jpeg

Step 15: Tap both the Hot (Yellow) and Ground (Black) wires and connect to the appropriate wires run to the front of the truck. (We used wire self taps to make this process quick and easy. Once done you can reinstall the Dome light.

Tap these wires - Yellow is hot black is ground.jpeg

Step 16: Run a Hot wire to the Overhead location. Since i have an Express there was only wires for the reverse camera, and no running "Hot" wire. I Ran the wire through the head liner, then pulled the doors weather striping back and ran it in the wire channel. Replace the weather stripping as you work your way down the channel to keep the wire from falling out. (Please note: I have a wire run off the battery for my light bar that i was able to tap into. You may want to use a fuse tap to complete this step)

OP
OP
15bigblue

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
Step 17: The "Pig tail" which i asked for from the junkyard when i ordered my overhead contained roughly 7 wires. You For this process your only going to use 3. The Black/Purple is a larger gauge and is the Ground, The Yellow/Green is the always hot (used to turn the lights on when you click them) and the Brown/purple is the wire that connects to the Dome light to turn the lights on when the dome comes on.

Simply connect the ground, always hot and dome light leads. I used heat shrink over the connections and a crimp connector on the Ground to make sure they had a strong connection.
Thick Purple - Ground, Yellow:green is always hot Purple:brown -on with doors.jpg

All hooked up.jpg

Step 18: Tuck the wires into the roof, and connect the wiring harness to the overhead. Test the light to make sure they come on by clicking them and when opening the doors. (Please be sure to bring the harness through the front of the bracket, we did this after this step which made it much more difficult.

Step 19: Click the console into the bracket. and your all done. time to sit back and admire your work.

Final look .jpg

*Disclaimer*Not that this should have to be said but please attempt at your own risk! Your results may vary, please be cautious when cutting into your headliner, and its always a good idea to bench test the lights before hooking them to your truck to make sure you have the correct wires selected.

txdrifter1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like it was supposed to be there in the first place.
Job well done sir.

OP
OP
15bigblue

15bigblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 Hemi
Looks like it was supposed to be there in the first place.
Job well done sir.

Thank you. Im very happy with the way it came out. Highly suggested and low cost mod is you dont have the stock console.

Adrianklarich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it's been a while since this post but I'm doing this same mod right now I got it all wired in but now I'm having trouble actually getting the console into the bracket is it a struggle or am I going about it wrong

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I know it's been a while since this post but I'm doing this same mod right now I got it all wired in but now I'm having trouble actually getting the console into the bracket is it a struggle or am I going about it wrong
The OP hasn't been here since late May 2018,shortly after he made the original thread