DIY: Replace factory radio with double din aftermarket stereo for 2012 Ram 1500 SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewTexian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for posting this thread. It made the installation of my new Kenwood DDX372BT so much easier.

jrileyso6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you have to trim the 95-6511 mounting brackets? I can't get them to fit properly with out trimming them .

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
for those of you who have the touch screen installed with sirius xm on it.....i had a kenwood touch screen installed and the screen would freeze on the sirius xm screen occasionally.....i swapped xm tuners thinkin it was that and even got a new radio adn nada........still froze when radio first came on......ive read that the factory xm antennas wont work as good with the new tuners........any thoughts on this?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I have a 15 with a sxv200 tuner with my alpine hu and am using the factory antenna with zero issues

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

dusty6191

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a 2009 1500 that I'm trying to put a kenwood ddx372bt in. The wiring harness I have only has one plug but when I unplugged the old HU it had something plugged in the middle one. What is that plug for? I couldn't find any wiring diagram online for this unit. It also had a second antenna plugged in. I'm guessing that's satellite? The kenwood I got doesn't have a second plug. Am I out of luck for satellite radio? Thanks for the help. Hope this works, I've never posted on a forum before.

Attachments

• RES radio.jpg
    RES radio.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,673

kccustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 2009 1500 that I'm trying to put a kenwood ddx372bt in. The wiring harness I have only has one plug but when I unplugged the old HU it had something plugged in the middle one. What is that plug for? I couldn't find any wiring diagram online for this unit. It also had a second antenna plugged in. I'm guessing that's satellite? The kenwood I got doesn't have a second plug. Am I out of luck for satellite radio? Thanks for the help. Hope this works, I've never posted on a forum before.

For a Kenwood you have to buy the add on satellite tuner but you can get an adapter to use the old sat. antenna

dusty6191

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK thanks. So is that what the middle plug was for? The satellite radio also?

kccustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK thanks. So is that what the middle plug was for? The satellite radio also?

One is for the am / fm antenna and one is for the satellite, I cant remember which is which, I think the white was the am / fm on mine, trial and error wont hurt it if you mix them up.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The mustard colored one is XM and the white one is FM the factory antenna connectors are keyed as well as color coded and cannot be plugged in incorrectly, not sure if the aftermarket adapters are though. The middle plug is for the uconnect microphone, your truck currently has uconnect Bluetooth I presume.

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/products/uconnect-module-jumper-cable

Last edited:

kccustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mustard colored one is XZM and the white one is FM. The middle is for the microphone?

Whoops, I didnt even notice the one he had his finger in was the one he was askingabout :crazy:

I agree it has to be the usb or something, mine had a actual usb port on it.

KobaltTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wiring Harness

I have a 2011 Ram and I am looking to pull the same stereo out and put in a Pioneer AVH-3300BT. My question is regarding the wiring harness. Is this particular harness necessary? What is the blue box for? I have installed stereos before but have never seen that kind of harness. On Amazon, that wiring harness is $65 but other harnesses without the box are advertised at around $8 for just the plug and wires. Plus the PAC website states the harness only outputs 2 channels so you have to splice them into 4 to the aftermarket stereo harness. The PAC website doesn't really say much to explain my question and was hoping for more detail here. Can anyone explain?

Standard Harness
basic%20harness_zpshr8s27bt.jpg

Harness In Question
C2R-CHY4_zpscu19bill.jpg

It's going here.
20160606_120139-1_zpstbzb2lzd.jpg

Ssryder13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I tried to see if it fit without cutting it and it didn't. Needed to cut it for it to expand open. The back end wouldn't squeeze in at all. Maybe if you just cut the top lip off it might have fit but I didn't try that.

I just did mine on Monday of last week and all I had to cut was the bottom of the metal frame.

Ssryder13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2011 Ram and I am looking to pull the same stereo out and put in a Pioneer AVH-3300BT. My question is regarding the wiring harness. Is this particular harness necessary? What is the blue box for? I have installed stereos before but have never seen that kind of harness. On Amazon, that wiring harness is $65 but other harnesses without the box are advertised at around $8 for just the plug and wires. Plus the PAC website states the harness only outputs 2 channels so you have to splice them into 4 to the aftermarket stereo harness. The PAC website doesn't really say much to explain my question and was hoping for more detail here. Can anyone explain?

Standard Harness
basic%20harness_zpshr8s27bt.jpg

Harness In Question
C2R-CHY4_zpscu19bill.jpg

It's going here.
20160606_120139-1_zpstbzb2lzd.jpg

To my understanding the blue box gives power to the radio since Ram uses a different style of power supply. You can use the non boxed one, and just run an ignition wire to the red wire on your radio harness, thats what I did.

Ssryder13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
for those of you who have the touch screen installed with sirius xm on it.....i had a kenwood touch screen installed and the screen would freeze on the sirius xm screen occasionally.....i swapped xm tuners thinkin it was that and even got a new radio adn nada........still froze when radio first came on......ive read that the factory xm antennas wont work as good with the new tuners........any thoughts on this?

Any time I have installed the Sirus boxes they come with their own individual antenna that has to be ran separately.

bulldog2222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And This one. Dash DvD Cutout#1.jpg I had to do this for my pioneer dvd to fit.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would this guide work the same for installing a Kenwood DDX9902S?

Looking at this because i can upgrade my standard tailgate to a locking one with the Kenwood rear camera as well.