Do I need 10-plys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
BFG ATs can be had in a D rated tire and are grest in snow and will last along time.
Nitto makes a number of great tires as well, like the Nitto Terra Grapplers.
General makes a grabber At as well

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I don't always buy from Tire Rack unless I can pick it up at one of their shops and not pay shipping. But their site has good easy to navigate selection with pics prices ratings and lots of reviews. Including how well a tire performs in the snow. I always think the 17s look so small on our trucks. Here is one that is a size wider but the stock height so that speedo & odo stay correct. I've also seen 285/70/17s used and think they look great on our trucks. Naturally you can peruse the giant stock size selection and use it for pricing & info if nothing else.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A/T-S&partnum=865HR7GEOATS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Here is the stock size selection

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=265/&ratio=70&diameter=17#allTitle

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17#0

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
For 3k lbs, id just run the stock tires until they are worn out. When i towed heavy with my 15 Silverado 1500 with the sr-a tires i aired them up to the 51psi max cold pressure and they worked fine for me, even with a fully loaded bed, 4 of us in the cab and my 6k TT behind it.

When worn out id upgrade to a LT or load range E tire for more stability, but be prepared for a mpg hit because e range tires are heavy. Good luck.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Love my 33x12.5 10 ply radar renegade a/t 5. Left the m/t world. Was tired of the rumbling. Anyway took these new tires out for their first long trip to the beach. Smooth ride and handled the sand without issue. As for load? Well I don’t haul so. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I've watched a scary video published by an RV dealer (which I take with a pinch of salt) showing a light truck with P tires. The truck's performance going through a slalom with an Airstream behind it is not-so-great. I understand I won't be driving a slalom or two whilst towing, but they're demonstrating what will happen in an emergency maneuver.

I'll be towing 3000lbs without a WDH. Should I ditch the factory tires and upgrade?

No, I don’t really see it being necessary. Just be sure ya check your tire pressure on all the tires (8?) bed you hook up. Drive careful.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3000 lb trailer, you would not need LT tires. But when you replace your tires, and if you do a lot of towing, I would upgrade to 6 ply, probably, as they would ride a little rougher, but would be better for constant towing.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I have 10 ply Nitto Terra Grapplers. (LT275/60 R20) Which I don't think they make in a 10 ply anymore? Anyways, Ive had these on my last 3 trucks and they do great in WV winters, handle awesome in the rain, and I think they are smoother and quieter then the junk wranglers that came on the truck.

Reading is fundamental.....I just re-read....I haven't seen the 10ply rated Terra Grapplers anywhere, Ridge Grapplers in 10ply, no XL's in Ridge Grapplers though...my bad.

I went and did a thing about an hour ago, and purchased the Nitto Terra Grappler G2's 116 XL's from Discount Tire Direct. I think my Ram will benefit more with the XL rated tire. Just my .02 cents.

The reason I say this, better/ more aggressive tread, only one pound heavier than the SRA (42lbs vs. 41lbs) about the same rotational mass. 10ply tires are heavier generally (55lbs to 60lbs plus) in a 20inch tire. XL has a better/ stiffer side wall.

If anyone is looking for some OEM tires, let me know. :D

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
First off, not all cars are the same, nor tires. Even if they have the same rating. I see absolutely no need for anything better than P rated tire, for such a light load. I have had E tires for last 15 years, on my 99 3/4 ton but when I switched out my OEM tires, I just could not see the need. Got the same Michelins I always buy, in P rating. They did not make in a E for my size and I did not want to fool around changing rim sizes. I tow a 20ft lund so about same weight maybe little more. NEver had any issues.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Stock tires a perfectly fine for 3000lbs. I towed several cars with my 1500 on stock sra's and never felt worried about the flex nothing felt unsafe I did jump to a 8000lb enclosed and I didn't even tow that thing for 5 miles and broke out my dad's 250 it wasent safe I didn't have a WD hitch or anything and the flex was bad. That being said I very much like my current D rated BFG seem to be a good tire and I have herd good things about winter traction with them. In texas we dont get much of that crap. Also check to see if you can get a duratrac in a D rating that will fit under your truck I know they put them on the power wagons and they are winter rated. Good luck with the hunt.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I upgraded to Toyo ATs in a P metric size and I love em. So far plenty of traction off road and fine for pulling 2 horses (~6,000 pounds) with out a big hit to gas mileage.

That said if I were pulling the horses all the time and longer distances at freeway speeds I would have gone to LTs

Ramsolid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 v8 gasser
I've done 50K/km on mine so far without any major wear. How far did you have to travel to use up three pairs?

I will be buying winter tires this coming winter. I live in Southern Ontario and the stock tires are just *awful* in winter, despite being M+S.
(3 singles) one was a blow out on highway, 2 were rocks wedging in between the tread causing slow leaks , you can only use so many plugs before there no good , for the price you pay for one SR-A you can get a descent E rated all terrain , I easily got 50000 klm's out of some Firestone destinations before I switched to mudders

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reading is fundamental.....I just re-read....I haven't seen the 10ply rated Terra Grapplers anywhere, Ridge Grapplers in 10ply, no XL's in Ridge Grapplers though...my bad.

I went and did a thing about an hour ago, and purchased the Nitto Terra Grappler G2's 116 XL's from Discount Tire Direct. I think my Ram will benefit more with the XL rated tire. Just my .02 cents.

The reason I say this, better/ more aggressive tread, only one pound heavier than the SRA (42lbs vs. 41lbs) about the same rotational mass. 10ply tires are heavier generally (55lbs to 60lbs plus) in a 20inch tire. XL has a better/ stiffer side wall.

If anyone is looking for some OEM tires, let me know. :D

I checked again after I typed, I actually have LT275/65-20 terra grappler G2’s on my truck with a load range of “E” and max tire press of 80psi...states right on the side “10 ply”

Think I got my tire size wrong on the first reply which is why I couldn’t find them on Nittos website.

03d3d260e32e6c1533c69bcb7a934cb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
For towing 3,000 lbs your P rated tires are just fine. I would run them at max PSI while towing to stiffen up that sidewall a little more, but E rated tires are WAY overkill for those puny weights.

On the other hand, if it is time to replace your tires, I would go with D or E rated tires. They are slightly more expensive, but because of a stiffer sidewall and higher weight rating, they will last a LOT longer on your truck than P rated tires. They are heavier, so fuel consumption could drop slightly. They are firmer, so ride comfort will drop slightly.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
If you run gravel roads off road sure you want an AT. To tow 3k trailer on pavement nothing wrong with SRAs. You don’t need max inflation either 39ish psi will wear better, last longer, not get punctured as quick & be at least as stable as 44 psi on this tire. What 44 may gain in sidewall stiffness it gives up by being rounder across the tread or foot print. All this comes from towing TTs daily on several sets of these because they were cheap & factory original before upgrading to better tires.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Thanks for all the input.

This might turn into a religious war, but are there any recommendations on what I should upgrade to? Something that handles an Ontario winter would be good (it would save having to buy separate snow tires). I'm not putting on mudders given the truck is mainly used to drive my boy to school. And please don't recommend I upgrade to a 3500 dually ;)
I recommend either BFG KO2s (for tread mileage) or Goodyear Duratracs (probably only get around 25-30k miles out of them).

My wife's 4runner has BFGs. They are firm and planted, and do very well in the rain and 6-12" of snow we get daily here in the winter months. Zero feedback on off-road as it's the city vehicle which occasionally sees a forest service road.

My power wagon has 35x12.50R17 Duratracs. They will NOT last you long on an HD truck, but they lasted over 50k on a 4-door Jeep I had. I've had 7 sets of these tires on 5 different vehicles at this point, and I will never buy any other tire. In my opinion, they do everything in nearly every terrain perfectly, without being loud like a M/T. If you want a very well rounded hybrid-A/T tire but are NOT concerned about mileage of the tire, go with these.

But if you want 70-80k miles out of a tire... I definitely have no idea.

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i ran bf goodrich ko and nitto grappler after stock tires. i got the 10 ply e load in both (80psi). they ride rougher for sure but a lot better for towing and payload and aggressive look. best part for me and it shouldn't make a difference but it just does. a lot less flat tires from nails and screws and what not.

but at 3000lbs don't worry with it until u need new tires