dodge 1500 1/2 ton capable of towing 12k lbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not knowing if the tow rig is also going to be your daily driver, I would recommend finding a 3500 dually gasser, preferably a late 3rd or 4th gen (don't know much about the old V10). Should be super cheap compared to SRW or diesel of course.

I say gasser because not knowing your budget constraints, a diesel can be very expensive to fix or maintain (less so with older non emissions handicapped diesels). I could swap in a new 6.4L hemi for the price of an injection pump on some of these newer diesels.

Better to have more truck than not enough. It will be a safer and more relaxing tow experience with 12k behind a dually. Good luck!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Holy year old thread resurrection, Batman!

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The biggest problem isn't getting a load moving with a vehicle, it's getting that load stopped safely. Heavy duty trailer towing needs a truck designed to tow the load you choose. You need a truck that can pull without straining, overheating, wearing out brakes prematurely. You must remember you share the road with other drivers, so you must have a safe vehicle trailer combo. You are money ahead by purchasing a truck capable of towing without giving you problems on the road.