Dodge Dude's Homebrew Oil Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll take a look before I actually order it, thanks for the heads up.

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Awesome write up Dodge Dude!

I'm on my way to Lowes and am wondering if you guys are using 3/8 fuel line or air hose? In my searches online all i can find is PCV air hose

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum

I'm on my way to Lowes and am wondering if you guys are using 3/8 fuel line or air hose? In my searches online all i can find is PCV air hose

If it were me, I'd use rubber fuel line/hose or something comparable (read reinforced) that will resist any damage that may occur through being exposed to oil.

This is something on my list of things to do in the future and when I finally get to it, I'll be using reinforced hose.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum

I used PCV hose from the parts house but fuel line should work too.

cbfodalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Default Dodge Dude's Homebrew Oil Catch Can

*NOTE: I would like to thank Brakelate for originally making the write-up for this DIY, 10 years ago when he was heavy into modding his 01 Cobra. It's quite possible that if it weren't for him making the original DIY that was stolen a couple times, I wouldn't have been able to adapt it for Ram owners. Thank you again, Brakelate! *
A couple folks have mentioned to me that I should make a write-up for my homebrew oil catch can that I've got in my Ram. Well, since I've told people how to do it and no one has done it, I guess I'll make a DIY for it. lol

First off: Why install a catch can in a truck that is a minimum of 13 years old? A spotless intake manifold and clean valves. That's why. I've personally found on my truck that it keeps the ping down as the engine isn't sucking the fine mist of oil it used to always do. In fact, it works so well that I pulled my air cleaner a couple weeks ago to find my plenum pan nearly spotless in the area of the PCV tube in the manifold.

Now, I had done my research prior to making this up to see what a catch can was (and this was before the huge buzz with the 4th gen guys) and I was intrigued, however, I did not want to spend the $80 for a nice, pretty can. So I found a DIY on a Cobra forum using an air/water separator for a shop air compressor.

What you'll need is the following:

A Kolbalt 3/8in Air Filter (air/water separator) PN 0221014- Found at Lowes for something like $20.99 or so

A pair of 3/8in NPT (this is crucial, as I found out) brass, barbed air fittings.

A roll of telfon thread tape

4ft of 3/8in PCV hose

2 1/4in (ish) band clamps

JB Weld

What I used for mounting onto my inner fender:

2in EMT (electrical conduit), 2 hole strap
and
Stainless Hex-head self-drilling screws 14x3/4

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

I actually went and dug that crap out of my toolbox for you guys, so be grateful!

I then went to the Dollar Tree and bough a package of 3 copper scrubbers for a buck (everything in that store is a dollar or less).

Now for putting it together:

You're going to, first, take the stone filter that's already in the can, out and should have three pieces:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

Now, instead of that filter, you're going to either stuff in, or cut and place the scrubber. I chose to cut mine in half because I didn't like the fact that it was displacing a LOT of volume. You're going to put this in the can.

why remove the filter that came with it? I tried it with some stainless steel scrubber stuffed in around filter location, and ran truck for two days with both the orginal filter and the stainless scrubber. I caught twice as much oil with original filter? I get about a teaspoon every 200 miles on my 03 ram 4.7, and a teaspoon every 100 miles on my 01 ram 5.2.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Nice! I am a noob when it comes to mods with any cars but this seems handy :)

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
why remove the filter that came with it? I tried it with some stainless steel scrubber stuffed in around filter location, and ran truck for two days with both the orginal filter and the stainless scrubber. I caught twice as much oil with original filter? I get about a teaspoon every 200 miles on my 03 ram 4.7, and a teaspoon every 100 miles on my 01 ram 5.2.
The filter was removed on grounds that it would load up and clog with oil, thereby causing vacuum problems. But if you are still using it with zero issues, don't change a thing.
Now, are you running it on two separate engines with two separate filtering styles or what? Because I could tell you that the 01 will push more oil through the PCV than the 4.7 simply because of the way the PCV system is designed.
Nice! I am a noob when it comes to mods with any cars but this seems handy :)
Sure thing, bud.

cbfodalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The filter was removed on grounds that it would load up and clog with oil, thereby causing vacuum problems. But if you are still using it with zero issues, don't change a thing.
Now, are you running it on two separate engines with two separate filtering styles or what? Because I could tell you that the 01 will push more oil through the PCV than the 4.7 simply because of the way the PCV system is designed.

I am using exact same setup in both trucks.
they are both catching oil.
01 Ram 1500 5.2- about a teaspoon every 2-3 days
03 Ram 1500 4.7 about a teaspoon a week

so I was thinking about changing the oil on the 01 to something a little heavier, it has a junk engine in it with 87k miles, it runs pretty smooth, I baby her, she is my money maker. so why does that engine spill so much more into catch can? also on a general question, I was wondering wether I should remove pcv in both trucks and just run a hose without check vavle?