Does anyone know what this is????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all...

New to this forum, but not to others or trucks. Anyways, i'm replacing my 1999 5.9 with a 2001 5.9. Everything has gone smooth and it's all back together, except one thing. (Pictured below) If anyone can please let me know what it is and where it goes, it would be greatly appreciated. I can't find a picture of it in any manual. I don't have any open lines or electrical connectors, so i'm kind of at a loss here. There is one exactly like this one on my right fenderwell, but like i said, i can't seem to find where this one goes.
BTW. this is a 199 ram 1500 5.9 4x4.
Thanks

wtfisit.jpg

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Looks like the purge selenoid for the gas tank vapor system. Should only be one per vehicle. My 2000 has one.
Don't toss it if it's functional...it's worth money to someone who needs one.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Looks like the purge selenoid for the gas tank vapor system. Should only be one per vehicle. My 2000 has one.
Don't toss it if it's functional...it's worth money to someone who needs one.

That's my guess too

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
I have one that looks like that if its the same thing. Mine is mounted just drivers side of engine center on the back end of the motor by the dizzy.

OP
OP
D

dmanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF! Wow, that's pretty big job. Be cool to see pics when your all done, like a before and after.

As far as the image... Um... blinker fluid reservoir/pump?

Wow, i wasn't even close... i was leaning more towards a muffler bearing
:happy175:
I took a bunch of pictures, but my phone was stolen and now i have no before pics. It's nothing fancy. i got the engine out of a 2000 Dakota with 60k miles on it. Mine had just rolled over 210k when it gave out. It was my father’s truck before he passed away (bought it off the showroom floor at the end of 97), and i thought I’d resurrect it for my 16 y/o son to drive.

I have one that looks like that if it’s the same thing. Mine is mounted just drivers side of engine center on the back end of the motor by the dizzy.

I saw something like that in my Haynes manual, but i have no mount for it (on the new or old engine) and no open tubes anywhere. I know it had to come from somewhere, I’m going to stop by the junk yard on my way home and see if I can find a ram or Dakota to check it out.

I fired it up for the first time last night. It started up, but it's stumbling bad and won't stay running. Like it's starving for gas or spark. I'll see if i can get a video of it tonight before it gets dark and post it. Maybe someone on here might have a thought to what it might need. The only things i changed when replacing engines was the fuel rail and injectors (because they were new) and the dizzy, because there was a screw stuck in the new engines mount. i made sure that it went in exactly as the old one came out. IDK, it's hard to start troubleshooting on an engine that you've never run before. I figured I’d start at the fuel and work my way around from there. Anyone know what the fuel pressure at the rail is supposed to?

Thanks for the ideas.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my '00 that was on the passenger fender around the headlight area.
It is indeed a canister purge valve.

OP
OP
D

dmanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my '00 that was on the passenger fender around the headlight area.
It is indeed a canister purge valve.

I have one in the exact same place. i'm just wondering if maybe it was on the engine when i pulled it and didn't notice because it's been so long.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
97's had them on the drivers side of the engine near the rear. That's where it was on my '97.
Don't know when Mopar moved them to the pass side Fender.

OP
OP
D

dmanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like they were on the fuel rail up to 98, then moved to the fender for 99 and 00. Beyond that I'm not sure, but it looks like it was left on the engine when I bought it. So its just an extra part now.
Well I checked timing by bribing #1 cylinder to tdc, checking dizzy location and timing marks. That seems fine. I'm leaning towards fuel cause it will start for a second, then die. Anyone know what the pressure at the fuel is supposed to be? If its not fuel, then I'm at a loss because everything else seems to be right.

tsg2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
its an evap purge solenoid that senses the puff sent from the fuel pump letting your computer know that all is well and theres no leaks

OP
OP
D

dmanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i pulled the plugs and this is what i got

oldspark.jpg

I also did a compression check on it, but here's where the problem lies. I didn't check the new engine for oil when i bought it and apparently it was full of oil. so i'm not sure if the oil had drained everywhere when i was installing it. Not even sure if that will make a difference or not. But when i did the compression check there was oil all over the end of the tester.
Compression:
1 - 151
2 - 134
3 - 157
4 - 116
5 - 135
6 - 100
7 - 147
8 – 100

After that I change all the plugs and it started for a second or two, but again, real rough.

Anyone have any ideas. i'm thinking oil on the side. but don't have any idea how to get it out or what should be done about it.

Last edited:

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Cant see you plugs, pic wont show but by your video's I'd say check your timeing make sure your on there and then check fuel pressure. Because if you gota pump it that much just to start you have an issue some where. Unless your running an old chevy motor in that dodge =)~

OP
OP
D

dmanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cant see you plugs, pic wont show but by your video's I'd say check your timeing make sure your on there and then check fuel pressure. Because if you gota pump it that much just to start you have an issue some where. Unless your running an old chevy motor in that dodge =)~

Thanks... You should see the Plugs now.

Fuel Pressure at the rail is fine, but i think i will need to pull the injectors to see they are working correctly. I had a little water in the fuel, but ran the tank dry, then put more gas in. So no water now.
I can't time it, cause it won't stay running. All i can do is get it close for now, then try if i can ever get it to start for more than 30 seconds.
Do you know if oil in the cylinders like that, will cause the compression readings to be all over the board? or does it really look like i purchased a POS

ADDCJ

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
potentially a POS have you checked basics like fuel filter, if there was water in the fuel there could be rust in the filter, or injectors.

OP
OP
D

dmanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
potentially a POS have you checked basics like fuel filter, if there was water in the fuel there could be rust in the filter, or injectors.

Yes... I'm getting volume and pressure at the fuel rail, but i still need to pull the infectors.
the engine i bought came with different injectors and the connection on them was different too. so i kept my old injectors which were new when i started this whole thing.
Will this make a difference?

old injectors and connections
injectors-from-old-engine.jpg

new infectors and connections
injectors-from-new-engine.jpg