donor rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
would the rear out of an 86 ramcharger work on our trucks? have been considering getting a donor rear to have the gears installed in. can't be without my truck for long and could probably pull the rear on my old ramcharger if it will work.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
That is a good question. I am sure your rear now is a AMA and the RC is a Dana of some sort . Could work I guess if they would mount the same and have the same input / output housings , but if your going to rebuild it anyway ... ehh

I would say ya it can be done .

You want indestructible get a ford 9inch rear ... If I ever had to get a new rear that would be the one ... best thing ford ever did .

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You've got to contend with an exciter gear ring in the 9.25 rear and abs sensor that works in conjunction with the speedometer. I'm not so sure about the swap considering the older diff isn't abs sensor friendly. Honestly, a good installer could have the gears swapped out and installed in about the same time it would take you to swap out a axle only to find stuff ain't linking up right.

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
gonna have all the bearings and seals changed too, well what ever's in the master install kit. i think it has all the seals, if not i will be getting some so it's all new.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i almost positive the ram gears will not go into a ford 9

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i've heard they're good............. just not sure i could put a ford part on a dodge lol. i gotta talk to a couple people. friend of a friend said he would help but then the grinding part came up and he was leary. which i understand but it doesn't look like a lot needs to be take out. he's worried about the housing heating up and breaking were the metal was taken out

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
keep us posted on what yo find out

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
yeah I have no clue about this lol but curious to see what unfolds

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thought ssomething else that could bust this idea. How the parking break hooks up. Gotta do some asking around of if the gears can be done in a day. Don't sound like the ramcharger rear is gonna work though

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
No you cant put in the dodge gears in a furd 9"

I was just saying that out off all rear ends the 9" furd is the mother . Most all pull trucks swap to them for a reason . You can beat the snot out of them and they keep on ticking

But like said ... easiest and cheapest ... take it to a shop

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
When I had my gears done, I dropped it off at 9am, and picked it up same day at 5pm. Thats nothing.

You will soend more time pulling the rear, installing the other one, getting all the sensors to work, all factory parts fitted and getting it re-aligned. Just take it to a shop and take a day off work/school.

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K....... So shop for the rear it is lol. How about the front? Easier or harder than the rear?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Front is harder from what I have heard. The price of the 4x4 swap has been the main reason I havent done a set on mine yet.