Double Din Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So...im wondering how hard a double din install will be..?

I can get the unit I want for about 270-290ish...

or I can get it from crutchfield with their support for about 390ish...

what do yall think I should do..?

I know how to mount it just not sure how hard the wiring aspect will be..

100 bucks for installation support is kinda high..but its prob alot less then it would be for a shop to do it if I cant figure it out myself..

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The wiring is very easy. Everything is color coded, so it is difficult to mess it up.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
oh yeah? awesome thats great news, I see your in conroe, if I have trouble, you can just come and help me out LOL Im in that area from time to time.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
HAHA...I think you will laugh when you see how easy it is. Most of the wiring kits even come with directions explaining what each color wire is for. Aside from that, you need an antenna adapter which plugs right in, and you are good to go.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
LOL okay thats great news.

so I need...

a antenna adapter
backup cam
wiring harness for 1984-05 vehicles
iphone cable from jvc

I could also get the sirius radio adapter and steering wheel controls too if I wanted

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
will the double din fit in our trucks? i've thought about it and pretty much settled on a single din with a flip out screen. are you planning on cutting up the dash to make it fit?

and yeah, as for the wiring, it should be as easy as wiring up a regular aftermarket deck. Nice and easy,

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
will the double din fit in our trucks? i've thought about it and pretty much settled on a single din with a flip out screen. are you planning on cutting up the dash to make it fit?

and yeah, as for the wiring, it should be as easy as wiring up a regular aftermarket deck. Nice and easy,

doesnt fit technically...but Im gonna make it :********:

do I need a wiring harness? I already have a single din so its prob already got what I need?

If you come up ton conroe I'm 5 minutes from conroe lol

lol no kidding, I might come up some time

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
the wire harness on the double din will be the same as single din, that won't change. power/ground/alt pwer/speakers. those are your standard wires. than you just have antenna, which is obvious, if you adding the backup camera the AV for that, and the RCAs for your sub. I could be dead wrong, but you shouldn't need a new wire harness

and yeah, i just did a little checking around, a little cutting and it'll fit. my head argued against cutting to preserve OEM finish, but than i made a very good point to myself, i'm already planning on putting holes in the dash piece for switches, so why not cut it too?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I didnt have to cut mine dash up for switches
0303121843.jpg

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I havnt really found the spot I wanna put all my switches yet, but yeah, I really want a double din, so its happening lol

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just ordered 5 round switches with the blue LED, once i get 'em i am gunna finalize where they go. I'm thinking under the dash lip, above the HVAC controls to keep 'em hidden yet accessible. as long as there will be enough room, i think there is from the last time i took the bezel off, otherwise i'll be putting them to the right of the center vents on the bezel, 2 next to the vents (for the amps remote wires) than 3 next to the cd player going straight down. (KC lights, future LED bed cargo lights, future lights somewhere...) and than i'll put a fuse block somewhere back there too.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
my fuse block is under the steering wheel behind that panel

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
how do yall have yalls power for that all set up?

power wire into a fuse holder, into a 12v splitter??

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I got one of thes. Power coming to this then split out to the buttons. I only have 2 of mine hooked up right now
6_fuse_panel.jpg

Edit found this in my photobucket

dd9vt4.jpg

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That's what I'm planning on picking up. Ill probably put mine in the same spot. Really seams like that's the most open spot with the best access to check it

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
got any pics luke?

somewhere along the line my key ring light turned off...and my truck doesn't ding when I get out with the lights on...ideas? I'm hoping maybe the bulb just got disconnected.

Tapatalk Addict

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Maybe a loose wire from when you had it taken apart for you led install? Or check the buzzer under dashboard....never had one go out before but I suppose the options there. Id bet on loose connection somewhere. Unless the buzzer has been an issue for a while

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
no it happened right after the install...I guess I'll take the steering wheel plastic covers off again and peek around.

it's always something...lol

Tapatalk Addict