Double or single axle trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ordered the boat a couple days ago. I decided to get a tandem with brakes. It was only a few hundred more than single with brakes. Would rather not discover after the purchase that I wished I had the tandem.

Smart move. Today's wheel bearings are mostly out of China, including the once heralded Timken brand, and as a result they are not as hard and prone to fail more often. My trailer guy sees this all the time. Make sure and keep those wheels lubed annually and keep an eye on the tires.......many if not most trailer tires are Chinese as well.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Because we usually pulled our boat/s a pretty good distance I invested in a laser thermometer to check the temp of the tires and hubs when we stopped for gas. If you see an unusually high temp it usually means your fix'n to have a problem. I also carried a spare complete hub assembly including bearings and seals just in case. I always carried more than 1 spare and a good jack.
Jay

OP
OP
bryan28

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The trailer has Vault brand hubs. They use a "hybrid lubrication system" that require no maintenance or service for 5 years (supposedly).

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just read an article about those hubs and the system they use. I guess as all other "new" things I'm pretty skeptical about how it works in the real world. It sounds like if your out on the road about midnight and something happens to one of their hubs, you are required to have them do the repair or your warranty is no good. That concerns me a little--but that might just be me---I hope they work out and would like to read about your experiences after you have towed with them for awhile---
Jay

Last edited:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Because we usually pulled our boat/s a pretty good distance I invested in a laser thermometer to check the temp of the tires and hubs when we stopped for gas. If you see an unusually high temp it usually means your fix'n to have a problem. I also carried a spare complete hub assembly including bearings and seals just in case. I always carried more than 1 spare and a good jack.
Jay

Very good idea. I have never gone that far but I always check the hub temp with my hand every time we stop. Also **** about keeping the bearings serviced. Don't wanna be one of those people on the side of the road with a burned up hub! Tends to ruin your vacation.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is not much mystery in trailer bearings if you've taken one apart. Adjustment of the preload is pretty easy as well. While i'm not skeptical of the design, i am of the need to need to consult them for repairs.

I'm also one of the few on the internet that think Dexter EZ lube is a great system provided you read the procedure vs pumping in grease blindly and ******** when in blows out the inner seal all over your brakes.

Big fan of Galvanized trailer or aluminum vs painted for boats. While tandem has more upkeep cost and twice the maintinance and wear items, I'd certainly feel more secure about my boat on a tandem axle.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^^ Well hell, I thought you just kept pumping grease in till the grease gun was empty. :(:(
Jay