Drag Radial size for the track

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShortBed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with Magnuson Supercharger 6lbs of boost
Just wanted to see what size track tires to look for. As you may know I just started taking my truck to my local race track and I am having trouble launching the truck. Right now I am running my street tires ( 275/60/20 Wrangler SRA) and as you might guess they break loose when you hit it too hard. This weekend is Fall Englishtown swap meet and I may look for a set of Drag radials if there are any available. I am guessing that they don't make a 20" drag radial, but more like a 17". I am running a 3.55 LSD rear, so I just wanted to see if I go with a smaller tire height that would increase my gear ratio, but I don't know a formula for it. So can anyone suggest and size or brand to look for or say away from. Thanks.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
28's are the way to go. They do make 20" DR's, but they are smaller in diameter, meant for cars. BFG makes them I think.

As for the 28's, there's a method to the madness. The drop in tire size will take you from your current 3.55 gear ratio to an effective ratio of 4.09, which is 15%. So you're going to gain ET and 60' time as well as traction. Hoosier makes a 28x10x17 tire that works well, the Hoosier 18157 drag slick. It's best to go that route and swap tires at the track. Unles you want to get all new wheels and run 28's all around with rear DR's all the time.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Whatever height you decide on make sure your wheel width works with the tires width. Too wide or even worse too narrow will screw up the contact patch and you'll lose traction anyway.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, hoosier recs a 9" wheel with those tires, That is what I have ran in the past with great success. I've never personally ran that tire on a truck, but I have ran that tire on a car. And ive seen people running that tire sucessfully. I would have thought a 10" tire would be too narrow for a near 3 ton truck.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you planning on doing gears in the future? If so, for 4.56s I'd do 28" tall and 3.55s-4.10s I'd do 26" tall. You can get away with 8" wide rim at the narrowest at the most usually otherwise you'll **** up the contact patch they were designed for like Unbroken said.
As far as radials go, unless you're planning on driving to the track on them then don't bother and get slicks instead on a spare set of 17" rims. Slicks are generally cheaper and lighter too.

OP
OP
ShortBed

ShortBed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with Magnuson Supercharger 6lbs of boost
Thanks for the help. I'm not planning on gear swap at this time. Just looking to book up better at the track. So if I go with 28's that should get a ratio of about 4:10 ish. If I do go with the slicks, what rim would be a good choice? Did dodge ever make a 17x8 steel wheel, or just better getting a new pair?

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most if not all the oem 17s are x8 I beleive, I picked up a used set that needed a little tlc for less that $400 with 31" tires on them, just had to clean them up and plasti dip them. Gonna run these at the track tonight and next year invest in slicks.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with some closer to 26" to help the **** 3.55s the most you can then. 26" diameter will make those 3.55s feel like 4.56s! It'll keep you in the sweet spot closer to high 5k RPMs before the finish. Third gear is a dog on these transmissions so you wanna keep high in the power band throughout the 1/4.