Drive axle fluid change?

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by chrisc60, Apr 26, 2016.

1. chrisc60

chrisc60 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hey all- recently bought a 2012 quad cab sxt, and with 66k on it, the maintenance schedule shows next service @ 72k. I'm including a screen shot, which lists "drive axle fluid" as a item that needs changing, and differential fluid as an item whose level needs to be checked. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so what am I missing here? I would think the only parts of the final drive holding fluid would be the diff's, front and rear. Any help clarifying would be much appreciated.
    Chris

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

2. chrisc60

chrisc60 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Oops, forgot the screenshot, but you know what I'm talking about

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

3. R.L.K.

R.L.K. Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Just change the fluids , it's simple and quick to do. This way you'd know when it was actually changed .
    Use the weight oil called out in the owners manual , verify if you have an Anti-spin ( LSD ) Rear differential , if you do have a Limited Slip Differential in the rear you will require not only the proper weight oil ( example 75-140) But an oil with friction modifiers in it already or you need to add the friction modifiers with the fill on the rear only .

I'll post up a thread on a how to , just need to find it .

Found it . This one is mine , a quick search you'll probably find a better one .

Hope this helps .

https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_tid=84221&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

Differential oil change

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  4. ColdCase

ColdCase Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    He was asking what is the difference between what the manual calls "drive axle fluid" and "differential fluid" as he is thinking they are the same thing.

R.L.K. likes this.
  5. Jimmy68

Jimmy68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2L Magnum
    With 66K on it your diff oil don't need changing for 20 years. Lol.

6. beep119

beep119 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    RLK, can you re-post your link, it is a dead link right now.
    Im looking for a good right up on changing front and rear diffs, if anyone has a good one for info, like fill ports and drains. what sizes for drain plugs...etc..

7. R.L.K.

R.L.K. Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
  8. soldiercowboy

soldiercowboy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4l 4x4 Tradesman crew cab
    I changed my front and rear differentials today and just want to say it is harder than it looks. I have 2014 ram 2500 4x4 I do not have drain plugs so I had to pull covers off and replace gaskets I ordered from Tasca parts. The hardest part is getting wrench around the suspension parts and brackets and breaking the bolts loose. I used a large drip pan to catch the oil because it come out from everywhere on the bottom edge of cover. I also used a oil change mat I got from o'reilly parts to prevent oil on garage floor. The gasket I got is a stiff rubber type gasket I did not have to use any silicone. I just put gasket on cover and put bolts back in and torqued them down to 30 ft lbs. I highly highly recommend using a pump to refill oil because there is no room for a funnel and quart bottle to fill. I used redline 75w85 gl-5 oil in gallon jug. Filled until oil starts coming out of fill hole rear takes 1 gallon and about 3 qts for front. Hope this helps someone I had 33000 miles the rear was worse than front because I do not use my 4x4 very often but i will change them both at the same time. The rear was a dark oil brown color so it was a good time to do it. Dealer says 30000 miles on differential and 60000 on transfer. The next time I do this I will be changing the covers to one's that have a drain plug. Hope this helps someone if you have any other questions send me message I will respond as soon as possible. Thanks for reading

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

9. DannyMK2

DannyMK2 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    the gaskets on the 2500/3500 are re-usable. no need to buy new ones unless they are damaged. i usually leave the top two bolts on (but loose) when popping off the cover. helps cut down on the mess. i have a pump but almost never use it. its faster/easier to just fill from the bottle, imo.

10. soldiercowboy

soldiercowboy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4l 4x4 Tradesman crew cab
    Thanks for that information on the gaskets I will use the same one next time. I perfer the pump it makes it a lot easier imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk