DRLs off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 2012 Ram Sport from a local dodge dealer. I realized upon test driving it (and noticing the manual was in French) that the truck had originally been exported to Canada; naturally it has the mandated DRLs. I've heard that they are only turned off at the dealer. How true is this? And if not, has anyone come up with a way to turn them off?

Before answering, know that I'm not here for a lecture on safety or visibility yadda yadda yadda. I just wanna turn the things off. Can anyone help me out?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is correct. Well they can be turned off with one of the programmers out there too, I think Bullydog.

Drdan524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have asked around a bit and I was told the Dealer was the only one that could do it. Unfortunately the dealers around me don't know how. Let me know if you have success.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have asked around a bit and I was told the Dealer was the only one that could do it. Unfortunately the dealers around me don't know how. Let me know if you have success.

StarScan/Wi-Tech option menu 'Country Code' and switch it back to USA instead of Canada. At least that is what they did on the LX cars like my Charger.

Drdan524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That is what I was told for the Rams as well. The only difference is it has to be the Wi-tech

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 2012 Ram Sport from a local dodge dealer. I realized upon test driving it (and noticing the manual was in French) that the truck had originally been exported to Canada; naturally it has the mandated DRLs. I've heard that they are only turned off at the dealer. How true is this? And if not, has anyone come up with a way to turn them off?

Before answering, know that I'm not here for a lecture on safety or visibility yadda yadda yadda. I just wanna turn the things off. Can anyone help me out?

StarScan/Wi-Tech option menu 'Country Code' and switch it back to USA instead of Canada. At least that is what they did on the LX cars like my Charger.

I understand where you are coming from. Try getting a dealer to enable them. Every one of them here in So.Cal. don't want to even touch it. Go figure. I even had 2 dealers go so far as to tell me that DRL were illegal in California. If that's true then all GM products would not be legal in California. Go figure, Bottomline the three dealerships I called just don't want to do it. I talked to one that said they would look at it but wanted 4hr.s labor to look at them.I guess the dealer just didn't want to do it or didn't know how to do it.:crazy:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just have them change the country code in the TIPM to U.S. I personally did it on mine and have done several at work. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drdan524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Jwheeler, I believe I have talked to you about this in the past. My local dealers "claim" they don't know how.

I just found a used Bullydog GT on ebay. I should have it within a week. I will post once I get it whether it will in fact enable/disable the DRL's. I have heard mixed things so I will try it an see.

strmtrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me know how your dealer treats you when you need work done to your truck. Mine shafted me due to it being a canadian truck. Go figure mine "didn't" know how to turn of DRL either. Still trying to find a dealer that will.

Drdan524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have read a post on another forum that said Bullydog figured it out. Once I get the Bullydog I will play with it and see. My truck is from Candace as well

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jwheeler, I believe I have talked to you about this in the past. My local dealers "claim" they don't know how.

I just found a used Bullydog GT on ebay. I should have it within a week. I will post once I get it whether it will in fact enable/disable the DRL's. I have heard mixed things so I will try it an see.

Yeah, for some reason it keeps coming up. It is unfortunate that your dealers can't help you out. I know you already ordered a tuner but here are a couple pics of the scan too while hooked up to my truck. My truck is a Canadian import that had DRL's. There may be other ways but this is what I did to turn them off. Sorry for the cell pics, I forgot my password so I couldn't upload from my computer.

Select TIPM:

0e28b6c23ff1b2ab25cbfdb7dc52110c.jpg

Select Misc. Functions:

2f0eb99253c9ed0a6bb08151047d3247.jpg

Select Change country code:

8c01e42579b119457aee4c6732762b95.jpg

There will be a drop down menu that needs to be changed from Canada to USA. After that is done, a button to Enable DRL will appear. That button wasn't there before.

6882af6dd9e0cc89cb47ef24bd364c05.jpg

Drdan524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks, that should be helpful to a lot of people. I still may need this because I am not giving up the Hemifever tunes to shut off DRL's.

OP
OP
LiteraCola

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I talked to the dealer when they installed my new tires, and asked if and how they could turn the DRL's off. The service manager didn't seem to know what I was talking about. And surprise surprise! I never heard back about it. I hate dealing with dealers so I'm to the point where I don't want to contact them again. They screwed me over on a "We Owe Addendum" because "it was hand-written and not machine printed". So the vibration I felt on the test drive got me half the cost of a set of tires. Thinking back, I should have kept looking.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is not something you can do on your own. That is using a dealer scan tool.

strmtrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, for some reason it keeps coming up. It is unfortunate that your dealers can't help you out. I know you already ordered a tuner but here are a couple pics of the scan too while hooked up to my truck. My truck is a Canadian import that had DRL's. There may be other ways but this is what I did to turn them off. Sorry for the cell pics, I forgot my password so I couldn't upload from my computer.

Select TIPM:

0e28b6c23ff1b2ab25cbfdb7dc52110c.jpg

Select Misc. Functions:

2f0eb99253c9ed0a6bb08151047d3247.jpg

Select Change country code:

8c01e42579b119457aee4c6732762b95.jpg

There will be a drop down menu that needs to be changed from Canada to USA. After that is done, a button to Enable DRL will appear. That button wasn't there before.

6882af6dd9e0cc89cb47ef24bd364c05.jpg

Thank you for posting this. My local dealer would not touch my DRL's so I just took my truck to the dealership in Henderson. They turned mine off without any bs about how my truck is from Canada so I am stoked. If they wouldnt have known how to do it I would have walked through your pics and done it myself in the service bay.

OP
OP
LiteraCola

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for posting this. My local dealer would not touch my DRL's so I just took my truck to the dealership in Henderson. They turned mine off without any bs about how my truck is from Canada so I am stoked. If they wouldnt have known how to do it I would have walked through your pics and done it myself in the service bay.
How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Drdan524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was just informed by Bullydog that enable/disable is not an option for the 2010 Rams. Looks like I will be bringing this post to my local dealer

Drdan524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There was some talk that the Wi-tech had to be connected online. Is that true? I am going to the dealer tomorrow to talk them into it.