Drop in Filter vs. Cold Air Intake in 2015 Ram Hemi 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll definetely checkout that aem drop in. Any mpg gains? I'm assuming it's washable and lifetime?

It should be lifetime. AEM sells air filter cleaner in a spray bottle. I'd imaging if you clean the filer per AEM's recommendation, it will last the truck's lifetime. The filter itself is pretty robust construction. I dropped mine in about 2-3 weeks after having a new OEM filter installed (I did that so I have a clean OEM filter to swap for warranty work - just in case). I immediately noticed a slight throttle response increase, and the engine growl is a little more noticeable coming from the intake at WOT.

I haven't done anything remotely considered legitimate for a MPG test since, but I have a couple longer drives coming up in the next couple months. But it seems like my mileage is better. I've been averaging (mixed driving conditions) about 1mpg higher than I have ever had during my weekday work routine. My next 600 mile round trip drive should give me a better idea how much of an improvement it made.

For $40 (filter) and $15 (cleaner), I'd say it's a pretty good deal. Even with just a +1mpg net gain, the filter will pay for itself in less than 20 fill ups. And if you do what I did - keeping a clean OEM filter to swap in for oil changes/warranty work - you can watch, and laugh, at them try to up-sell you air filters you don't need.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I noticed that it's much easier to get your average MPGs higher with the AEM filter. Meaning, after a period of low average, the EVIC reading rebounds to where it "should" be much faster than with the OEM filter.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I went with the Volant CAI with the Power Core 100,000 mile dry filter. I prefer the closed box, it has an addition inlet that can be capped or a scoop can be added at an additional cost that will double the inlet capacity and increase air velocity.

Makes a huge difference on how the truck sounds, performance I have to say it did seem to increase the acceleration of the truck, whether or not it added any HP or tourq I did not put it on a dyno or anything like that so hard to say

Gas milage I have not noticed a difference

Overall I would recommend this product and I would buy this product again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

How was the fitment of this? I had one in my 2011 and it was such a pain to install I just sold it. Also, how much louder would you say it was?

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I noticed that it's much easier to get your average MPGs higher with the AEM filter. Meaning, after a period of low average, the EVIC reading rebounds to where it "should" be much faster than with the OEM filter.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yeah, i know some people report their EVIC being significantly off, but mine is almost spot on all the time (probably because people don't know how to use it.....). I do my MPG reports with math, not the EVIC, just in case. But I agree, it makes getting average 17+mpg easy. I was averaging 15.5-17 during my weekly work routine before, now I'm seeing 17-18.5. Looks like I'll probably grab another +1mpg average on the highway too.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Witch: That intake system looks like it was made to go with the Hemi! Dam Sexy! I like the enclosed system.
Lucky for me-->The stock intake with a little mod to the Air Box and the addition of a Dry Flow AEM drop in filter flows more cool clean air then I will ever need.

If I was ever to have extra $$ laying around! I just might look into the Volant! I know the Power Core filters are second to none. I'm still penny pinching to purchase a Diablo Trinity. Congrats! That Rascal just adds Eye Candy too that Clean Engine Bay!

Last edited:

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
How was the fitment of this? I had one in my 2011 and it was such a pain to install I just sold it. Also, how much louder would you say it was?

fits like a glove and installs in no time at all

Thanks SyN :favorites13: