drop shackles question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey yall. I'm looking at leveling my '08 1500 quad cab with drop shackles. I have read on here that the standard 2" shackles only give you 1"-1.5" of drop which is not quite enough to level the truck out. So i was doing some digging on the ole interweb and found these shackles that are designed for a 2500 series truck. My question is, will they fit my truck and do you think they will give me the amount of drop im looking for? Thanks in advance for the help!!

Trust The Air Suspension Ride Pros; Find Exclusive Deals on Hot Rod Suspension, Lift Kits, Lowering Kits, Lambo Doors, air springs, air bags, Billet Wheel Adapters, Towing Kits, Air Shocks, Air suspension Lift Kits

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
No, that won't do you any good. Take a look under the truck at what you have and you will see using shackles is very limited. The easiest way to get it exactly where you want is to flip the axle and then you can use shackle to get it at the level you want. With that said, if you don't carry a lot of weight you can remove the overload spring and with the drop shackle will get you very close to level. If you do carry weight you can use air bags to lift the truck back level when loaded.

OP
OP
southernbnb

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How exactly do you "flip the axle"? The more I'm looking at the shackles, the more I'm thinking about just going with the front end level kit. I have fine one of those before it turned out really well.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
How exactly do you "flip the axle"? The more I'm looking at the shackles, the more I'm thinking about just going with the front end level kit. I have fine one of those before it turned out really well.

I did this many years ago using a Mcguaghy Flip kit. They are marketed as a bolt on kit. But if you are making hp I recommend welding the spring perches once alignment is confirmed. Mine is now down 6 inches, but I think the photo shows 4 inch drop. What's nice about doing it this way is you can make it any level you want such as a true 2inch if wanted.

dsc00224web.jpg