Dual 10" Alpine Type S subs...need power amp advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so...I installed all my Kicker speakers last week and I'm thrilled with them! The sound is a lot more alive and bright (had to turn down the treble quite a bit) I put 6.5" in the front doors, 6x9 in the back, and 3.5" in the dash all CS series.

I managed to pick up a used but mint fibre glass sub box with dual 10" Alpine Type S wired at 2 ohms...I think. I now need some power for the subs but I have no idea what I should be looking at.

do I need a 2 channel sub amp? or will a mono single channel work for both subs? how much power do I need? and can you suggest a great amp that will a) fit under my seat for install, and b) provide enough power to drive these 2 subs in the sealed box.

next...and sorry I haven't test fitted the box yet but it came out of the same year Ram I have 2010...so should fit easily. How do I take out the storage area lids? and will I need to raise up the back seats with risers to be able to still use them or should it be fine as it is?

next....on the stock Dodge Ram touch screen GPS/DVD units....I'm assuming there is a L/R out so that I can just run rca to the amp? or do I need something else to get an amp hooked up and working? any help would be great guys!

Thanks for all the help.... Jinx

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
oh also. I'd like a remote bass control module...and what is a subsonic filter and do I need it? what should I be looking for here guys? Help me out please?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really need to know configuration of the subs, but assuming they are D4s, I would keep it simple and just get a Kicker CXA1200.1. Factory unit has no RCA outputs, but you can either get a LOC and connect behind the radio and run RCAs to the amp. Or you can just run high-level speaker wire to the amp and splice on RCA ends. The Kicker amp supports either, and also does remote turn on if you go the high-level route.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Really need to know configuration of the subs, but assuming they are D4s, I would keep it simple and just get a Kicker CXA1200.1. Factory unit has no RCA outputs, but you can either get a LOC and connect behind the radio and run RCAs to the amp. Or you can just run high-level speaker wire to the amp and splice on RCA ends. The Kicker amp supports either, and also does remote turn on if you go the high-level route.

Sorry. what's a LOC? I'm kinda lost here. I thought the stock unit had rca outs...if it doesn't then crap I dunno how i'll install. The Type S subs are dual 4 ohm voice coils wired to 2ohms so I was told by the previous owner (bought the box and subs used) but again I'm not 100% sure on how it's actually wired. I'll have to take them out and check.

Do you suggest I get a new head unit or stick with the stock unit? I like the stock unit because of the 20 gig hard drive and gps, however, I am not opposed to getting a new head unit if it's necessary or will make life and sound better in the long run

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the PDX are great amps. I think the price is kind of high for an old generation PDX though.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
LOC = Line Out Converter.

Here's an explanation of what they are and how they are connected to units without RCA outputs:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-InZ2g2PELdQ/learn/what-are-line-output-converters.html

You do need to know the specs on those woofers to pick the right amp. With two speakers you need enough power to drive both and if they drop down to 1 ohm, you'll burn up a single amp rated at 2 ohms pretty quickly.

What is the make and model number of the subs?

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOC = Line Out Converter.

Here's an explanation of what they are and how they are connected to units without RCA outputs:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-InZ2g2PELdQ/learn/what-are-line-output-converters.html

You do need to know the specs on those woofers to pick the right amp. With two speakers you need enough power to drive both and if they drop down to 1 ohm, you'll burn up a single amp rated at 2 ohms pretty quickly.

What is the make and model number of the subs?

They are slightly older Alpine Type S dual voice coil 4 ohm 10" subs. The guy I bought them from said they were wired at 2 ohms. he was running them with only a 500 watt mono amp so he said...but I'd feel better giving them more power than less

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two dual 4 subs only run at 1 or 4 ohms. Can you get a picture of the back of them? the JBL is a decent amp, I have installed the 550 but not the 1000. The 550 does not have a bass knob input, check the 1000 is you want one.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
nice. Sonic seems to be cheaper on everything compared to Crutchfield. Thanks! would you take the Rockford over the Pioneer though?

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok cool thanks. and btw...I just figured out that I got an AMAZING deal on the sub box with the Alpine Type S in them. The fibre glass Atrend box alone (even on ebay) is over $300.00 USD (about $400.00 CAD) and that's without the subs in it!

I got the box and both subs for $250.00 CAD (about $180.00 USD) woot woot!

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
oh another question for you guys. is a 4 gauge power wire REALLY needed or would 8 gauge work just fine?

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok guys thanks so much. I think i'll go with that Pioneer amp and an LOC which looks like it's not that difficult to install. I'll let you know how it all goes! :)