dual battery and winch hookup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

platinum831

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
don't know if this is the right section
im looking at upgrading my power system in my truck
my plan is to run a second battery in a bed box or make a custom storage area in the inside of the bed.

plus i need a power hook up spot close to the tale gate of the truck for my trailers winch was thinking something like an external battery jumper box mounted on the outside of the tailgate in a locked inset box

what should i be looking at for alternator upgrades and wireing

Omilon69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
don't know if this is the right section
im looking at upgrading my power system in my truck
my plan is to run a second battery in a bed box or make a custom storage area in the inside of the bed.

plus i need a power hook up spot close to the tale gate of the truck for my trailers winch was thinking something like an external battery jumper box mounted on the outside of the tailgate in a locked inset box

what should i be looking at for alternator upgrades and wireing
I don't think I'd worry about the alternator providing yours is working well however I would hook up a switch in between so you can run one at a time if it gets drained or run it on both when you're on the highway, or temporarily while your winching, I'm sure it would be plenty enough charge what is the amperage of your alternator now being as it comes with so many electrics it's probably a pretty high amperage 130 to 150 a bet for sure

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You'll want to use a continuous duty solenoid(3) to isolate the second battery(2). Wire an On-Off-On(SPDT) switch to the coil of that solenoid so you can have it turn off when the truck isn't running, isolate the second battery, or on continuous for being able to self jump start.dualbatterywiring.jpg
What's not in the picture is the fuses, you want to use them inline wired to the positive on each battery. The same for the wiring going to the switch (1)

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Source switch power from ignition source for solenoid and fuse inline both ends close to battery's
then us https://www.digikey.ca/product-deta...8NhiVYBCVdbUlaqf7246eAHeaFSzDUuYaAihtEALw_wcB some thing like this to connect to your winch as they come in all amperage's
I use ones by Warn https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...sNnYPZj_idT4Xq0wHakkSURLAQi7vI9MaAnTYEALw_wcB good luck
This style connectors are often called Andersen connectors.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk