Dual steering stabilizers???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Its not an upgrade, its a waste of cash. Steering stabilizers do nothing other than hide front end problems. Put that cash in your gas tank instead.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Its not an upgrade, its a waste of cash. Steering stabilizers do nothing other than hide front end problems. Put that cash in your gas tank instead.

I disagree. But I've seen this argument before and I know there is absolutely no explanation possible that would change your mind.

One is fine. Unless your running 44" Boggers or some other huge bias ply tire.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Their nomenclature is ****** up because they stabilize nothing. They actually contribute to better rode by absorbing front end vibrations that would normally, like John said, inform you of a problem

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
You guys know they come stock on many vehicles right?

Example of a needed stabilizer, My 79 Ramcharger with 8 lug Dana 44.
New wheel bearings, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, new ball joints, new tie rods, Borgeson steering shaft, wheel alignment, etc. Running 36" TSL Swampers.
Steering shock failed on the highway. Death wobble almost put me in the ditch. Got slowed down without crashing. Felt like the truck was going to come apart.
New stabilizer installed, front end checked. All good.

Now some guys say they mask problems. Some say not needed.
Some guys are smarter than auto designer engineers. That's true.

I've had steering stabilizers go out on a lift axle on a Freightliner. Wheels went to full lock turn at 75mph in Wyoming. Lift it and go. New stabilizers in Cheyenne. Good to go.

Now, maybe not needed but they do help with certain applications. Actually required in some. Has nothing to do with problems or worn out parts.
My 01 Ram has no stabilizer, it's missing. Steering is worn out and loose. No wobble.

Well, some shimmy.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You guys know they come stock on many vehicles right?

Example of a needed stabilizer, My 79 Ramcharger with 8 lug Dana 44.
New wheel bearings, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, new ball joints, new tie rods, Borgeson steering shaft, wheel alignment, etc. Running 36" TSL Swampers.
Steering shock failed on the highway. Death wobble almost put me in the ditch. Got slowed down without crashing. Felt like the truck was going to come apart.
New stabilizer installed, front end checked. All good.

Now some guys say they mask problems. Some say not needed.
Some guys are smarter than auto designer engineers. That's true.

I've had steering stabilizers go out on a lift axle on a Freightliner. Wheels went to full lock turn at 75mph in Wyoming. Lift it and go. New stabilizers in Cheyenne. Good to go.

Now, maybe not needed but they do help with certain applications. Actually required in some. Has nothing to do with problems or worn out parts.
My 01 Ram has no stabilizer, it's missing. Steering is worn out and loose. No wobble.

Well, some shimmy.

I'm referring to only on these trucks, yes in some applications they can be of use. IMO they put them on these trucks as simply something to say has failed and sell us replacements at the dealership. I took the stab off my 01 and noticed difference what soever without it. A dual stabilizer like the OP is asking about, is definitely not an upgrade. It will do nothing but help to hide problems more so than one stabilizer. Personally on a lifted second gen, I wouldn't want one so I could feel any up coming front end probs (a guaranteed on 2g) and try to fix it before something happened. A properly set up front end should not have death wobble, if death wobble is occurring there is a problem in the front end somewhere. I didn't see you mention track bar Jimmy, did you have an upgraded bar on your Ramcharger? (By the way you should post a pic or 2, would love to see it!) They are the biggest suspects for death wobble IMO. Regardless I am glad nothing happened to you in that incident. You already know my opinion on Dana 44 so no need to discuss that hahah. Just my humble opinion on the subject anyways, don't expect everyone to agree with me. :favorites13:

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I'm referring to only on these trucks, yes in some applications they can be of use. IMO they put them on these trucks as simply something to say has failed and sell us replacements at the dealership. I took the stab off my 01 and noticed difference what soever without it. A dual stabilizer like the OP is asking about, is definitely not an upgrade. It will do nothing but help to hide problems more so than one stabilizer. Personally on a lifted second gen, I wouldn't want one so I could feel any up coming front end probs (a guaranteed on 2g) and try to fix it before something happened. A properly set up front end should not have death wobble, if death wobble is occurring there is a problem in the front end somewhere. I didn't see you mention track bar Jimmy, did you have an upgraded bar on your Ramcharger? (By the way you should post a pic or 2, would love to see it!) They are the biggest suspects for death wobble IMO. Regardless I am glad nothing happened to you in that incident. You already know my opinion on Dana 44 so no need to discuss that hahah. Just my humble opinion on the subject anyways, don't expect everyone to agree with me. :favorites13:

I'll agree that they could hide an upcoming issue.

OP wanted to know if two is better than one. Not really. Unless you have massive tires. Like 44"-52" variety.

Any play, even if not noticeable, will get greatly exaggerated and a shock will tame them enough to hopefully not cause premature failure.
Take a tight, new Pitman arm ball joint. Try to wiggle it. Now add two 150lb + tires at 70mph on rough road. If you can calm any shock, stress or vibrations to help protect it and other parts, would you not do it?

Track bar? On a leaf sprung solid axle 79 Dodge? They didn't have one. Neither did my 80 W250.
Had a Sway bar. Not that that little thing did anything to help. Came off my 80 W250.

Pic of my Ramcharger from way back. See my 77 T/A Shaker. Lol.

Attachments

• 24050240001_large.jpg
    24050240001_large.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'll agree that they could hide an upcoming issue.

OP wanted to know if two is better than one. Not really. Unless you have massive tires. Like 44"-52" variety.

Any play, even if not noticeable, will get greatly exaggerated and a shock will tame them enough to hopefully not cause premature failure.
Take a tight, new Pitman arm ball joint. Try to wiggle it. Now add two 150lb + tires at 70mph on rough road. If you can calm any shock, stress or vibrations to help protect it and other parts, would you not do it?

Track bar? On a leaf sprung solid axle 79 Dodge? They didn't have one. Neither did my 80 W250.
Had a Sway bar. Not that that little thing did anything to help. Came off my 80 W250.

Pic of my Ramcharger from way back. See my 77 T/A Shaker. Lol.

I think we are saying the same thing on the 2 over 1 set up.
I can appreciate your points and see where you're coming from, but IMO having good quality joints and maintaining them should make them last their life time regardless of steering stab. JMO anyways.

Lol what am I thinking, forgot they were leaf spring front ends. Nice lookin truck!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mag V10,Mag V8
Think a duel stabilizer is pretty affordable...maybe $150??Also they look really COOL!!! (Yes I'm "old school" and I would put duel on my '95 Ram 1500 4x4...rolls R1 Tractor tires...so it needs all the help it can get!!!)

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well, I just went from a single steering stabilizer to a double and it definitely smoothed out the steering. Yes, my entire front end was went over with a fine tooth comb from two different dealers and an alignment shop to make sure everything was tight and within spec. The truck had a single Fox unit on it that was leaking and I thought why not just spend another couple hundred bucks for the double since the single was leaking. Is it worth $600---->>NO!! Does it look cool, you be the judge!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 67