Efan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL, I am a moth to the flame when talking about squeezing HP out of our rigs. Beyond the HP, it COMPLETELY opens up the engine bay. I think that is pretty damn cool. I installed the Vararam already and after the eFan mod, I may be able to install a hammock! :cool:
No joke... Someone needs to make a custom storage bin that bolts up to where the stocksintake was, there's so much space and I can never have too many tow straps.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Depends, if you already have a tune,tstat, and don't need to swap fans, why not? Even if you have to swap fans, it's comparable or better and potentially cheaper than some CAI. I took mine off for a week and put it back on, wanting to figure out what my heating issue is so I can take it back off. Definitely felt like there was a slight increase in throttle response imo and that was before a pedal commander. Most consider this a free boost based on having the other components.

sure- if that's the case, I'd do it too, but I'm not going to buy a tune just to do the efan mod

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sure- if that's the case, I'd do it too, but I'm not going to buy a tune just to do the efan mod
Agree, it's not a quick little something for someone to do who wants to stay stock. It's essentially a free boost for bolt-on enthusiasts. :)

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
No joke... Someone needs to make a custom storage bin that bolts up to where the stocksintake was, there's so much space and I can never have too many tow straps.
I am seriously looking at installing either a 2nd battery with a Big3 upgrade or onboard air compressor, or BOTH! :D

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree, it's not a quick little something for someone to do who wants to stay stock. It's essentially a free boost for bolt-on enthusiasts. :)

Just to elaborate more as well, the tuner is going to provide a ton of improvement, not just this benefit. People get the 180 thermostat to help prevent heat soak, which robs HP. I believe the effects of heatsoak start at 190-196 (someone correct me if I'm off a bit and/or know the actual loss calc). So for someone to install a $25 thermo to help prevent HP loss, removing the clutch fan to help prevent addtional HP loss for free is a natural progression. If you're wanting to stay stock and look for a relatively cheap mod to get a little more oomph and fun out of your truck, check out the pedal commander.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So to be clear, some of you have simply removed the mechanical fan and just ran with the stock AC fan? If it's as simple as that I might try just removing the mechanical fan.

I have a tuner and custom tune and I've been thinking of going with a 195 or 185 tstat but that V6 efan is expensive. I also tow a 4500lb TT in the summer so I'm a little concerned about overheating with just a lower tstat and the stock AC fan.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So to be clear, some of you have simply removed the mechanical fan and just ran with the stock AC fan? If it's as simple as that I might try just removing the mechanical fan.

I have a tuner and custom tune and I've been thinking of going with a 195 or 185 tstat but that V6 efan is expensive. I also tow a 4500lb TT in the summer so I'm a little concerned about overheating with just a lower tstat and the stock AC fan.

You also need a 180 tstat or lower and tune the fan settings to come on earlier. Most set at 196 to prevent short cycling and constant running, which can shorten the fan life. Settings May differ based on climate. If you tow a lot, you may want to keep the mechanical fan on. You'd have to try and see. If you only tow every so often, you can remove/reinstall the mechanical fan as you wish since it's a 5 minute job once you know what you're doing.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I am not familiar with this mod, what is the potential upside ?

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this mod. Removed clutch fan installed the V6 electric fan, tuned it to come on, swapped stat,etc. I didn't notice any significant performance improvement whatsoever. What I did notice is when that V6 fan kicked on it was like a jet engine vibrating the truck. Change in the console would vibrate, etc. lol It was so annoying I pulled it out and put my clutch fan back on. Somebody need a new V6 fan? Come get the one sitting in my garage. LoL

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did this mod. Removed clutch fan installed the V6 electric fan, tuned it to come on, swapped stat,etc. I didn't notice any significant performance improvement whatsoever. What I did notice is when that V6 fan kicked on it was like a jet engine vibrating the truck. Change in the console would vibrate, etc. lol It was so annoying I pulled it out and put my clutch fan back on. Somebody need a new V6 fan? Come get the one sitting in my garage. LoL
Sounds like an issue with the mounts or the fan balancing itself. I'd bench test it to determine if the fan is bad

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard of some vibration when the fan is running, but not that bad. Where in FL, I could run down there and take it off your hands....

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the v6 fan with no issues or vibration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it was a new fan. Come get it Wahhrsuul. It might help that slow ass yellow truck get out of it's own way. LoL I'm on Orlando.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slow ass truck?? Nah, slow ass driver is the real issue here.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 Ram R/T amd pulled my clutch fan off over a yr ago. I use the stock A/C fan & a 180 t-stat. I also have a tune. Mine stays at 185* and the highest I have seen it sitting in traffic in the middle of south Louisiana 100* summer is 195. My high speed setting on the fan is set at 195. No sooner than the high speed fan comes on the temp goes right back down to 185. I however dont tow anything too heavy, just a 14' trailer w/ a zero turn in the summer. I went from stock tune & clutch fan to custom tune & pulling the clutch fan off at the same time so idk the benefit from just pulling the fan off. I have seen dyno results of around 10 hp though

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2016 Ram R/T amd pulled my clutch fan off over a yr ago. I use the stock A/C fan & a 180 t-stat. I also have a tune. Mine stays at 185* and the highest I have seen it sitting in traffic in the middle of south Louisiana 100* summer is 195. My high speed setting on the fan is set at 195. No sooner than the high speed fan comes on the temp goes right back down to 185. I however dont tow anything too heavy, just a 14' trailer w/ a zero turn in the summer. I went from stock tune & clutch fan to custom tune & pulling the clutch fan off at the same time so idk the benefit from just pulling the fan off. I have seen dyno results of around 10 hp though

What tuner do you have? And you just pull the fan off or is there something else that has to be done?

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What tuner do you have? And you just pull the fan off or is there something else that has to be done?

I have a Diablo I2 w/ a custom Jay Greene tune. And nothing else has to be done. Remove shroud. Remove clutch fan(reverse threads) & reinstall shroud. I made a tool to hold the pulley still while I hit a cresent wrench w/ a 3 lb hammer. Worked great

Last edited:

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Diabli I2 w/ a custom Jay Greene tune. And nothing else has to be done. Remove shroud. Remove clutch fan(reverse threads) & reinstall shroud. I made a tool to hold the pulley still while I hit a cresent wrench w/ a 3 lb hammer. Worked great

Okay cool. It looks like they upgraded to the intune I3. Do you know if you can adjust for tire size and axle ratio with this one or do you have to get the trinity. Also wouldn’t the pulley the fan was connected to still have an impact on performance?